PDA

View Full Version : Question 3.2 FSI finding TDC

happydiy
19-05-2014, 06:47 PM
So the timing chain tensioners went on my 2005 A4 3.2 FSI causing damage to bank 1. The valves have been replaced and the head skimmed and new tensioners put in.

The engine is still out and the problem I have now is when trying to hand-crank the engine I meet resistance after a while. As the pistons move freely when I disengage the cams I assume that the resistance I’m meeting when everything is in place is a valve(s) hitting a piston. So naturally I thought this is a timing issue. I have followed the advice that cylinder 3 (rear UK drivers side) should be TDC but that doesn’t resolve the issue. Is this resistance when hand cranking actually a timing issue or is it just normal with the engine out? Will the timing resolve with the electrics in place?

Also could someone confirm which valve should be at TDC? I’ve attached an image taken from the rear of the engine to demonstrate. From what I have seen cylinder 3 is where I have the yellow handle sticking out and that’s what TDC should be done from. As this didn’t work I have tried a few other cylinders at TDC but still getting the resistance.

The other problem is that the crankshaft locking pin seems to only sit neatly in when the valve I've marked with the red handle on the pic is at TDC... but technically that is valve 4 right?!:confused: .... basically I'm stuck and I need your help please!!

So, could someone please enlighten me as to whether this resistance on cranking the engine is normal or not and how precisely I should TDC the engine? (this is my first engine out job so apologies if this is a stupid post :Blush2:)

Thanks in advance for all your help!