PDA

View Full Version : Question Dpf active indicator

WOLFSBURG-PD
19-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Hi folks

Is there any way for us to tell when a dpf regen cycle is happening? I have read that the car may lose some power but isn't something I have noticed what I have noticed is that on occasion when I turn the car off the fans come on. I have read that this suggests you have interrupted a regen. If there was someway I knew that it was doing one I would continue driving until it was finished (I mainly do short runs and I'm paranoid about cloggin it up) so in short is there anything to be activated in vcds that would present a warning light when dpf regen active or could I wire up some form of indicator?

Sounds bazzar I know :)

Thanks as always

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

gdallas
19-05-2014, 02:44 PM
it will continue the regen when you park up and swith the engine off if it was in the middle of one. you'll hear a fan noise and will smell the soot burning.

WOLFSBURG-PD
19-05-2014, 02:45 PM
Awh so it continues anyway? Surely this has a significant pull on the battery?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

gdallas
19-05-2014, 02:47 PM
doubt it, doesnt take that long to regen tbh. wheni done a manual one from 21g it took about 10 mins. but your car wont allow that build up to occur, I had a duff dpf sensor

Guest 2
19-05-2014, 03:21 PM
Gear change indicator will tell you to change down, you will feel the car becomes more responsive as more fuel is injected to burn the soot. Idle speed will rise slightly too.

Depending on your driving style, regen happens every few hundred miles or so.

gregpot2000
01-06-2014, 01:15 AM
It will also feel rough at idle. Similar to misfiring

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

theskyfox
04-06-2014, 09:49 AM
Seems to be a bit varied for me on my 3.0TDi. I do a lot of motorway miles now so 90% of the time I don't notice it at all, but if I've done a number of short runs I can sometimes catch it in the act. I find that the throttle becomes "rough" (you can actually feel the car pull a bit rougher than usual as it does it) and the gear change indicator will tell you to change down if the revs drop. Sometimes when you pull up the car will kick out a stink of burning rubber and the fans will be going nuts at the front (its sometimes my passengers who go "whats that smell?"). Additionally you could probably light a cigarette on the heat of the exhaust...

One other point...not sure if its a more recent software update, but I've known the car to start a regen on a short journey where I've barely gone above 30mph and the engine oil temp is still cold.

Not sure there would actually be any real point to a DPF active sign. All it would do is create additional anxiety/stress when driving. I mean realistically, what are you going to do? "Excuse me traffic, please move out of my way and part like the red sea as I'm going to block my DPF if I don't get over 5mph!"

-Andrew