PDA

View Full Version : 1st MOT- need new clutch & gearbox on 3 yr old Passat 2.0 TDI Tech Bluemotion

alexpengilly
14-05-2014, 02:00 PM
Just taken my car for its first MOT and came out £2k lighter.... New clutch and gearbox due to "clutch plate disintegrating".

Only done 32,000 miles VW gave me 70% discount on parts.. but I'm not a happy bunny - anyone encountered similar?

I have a feeling this was a problem they have encountered before as the dealership didn't seem too surprised.

This is the first time I have had to have a new gearbox in 20 years of motoring!

Has anyone tried to get compensation from VW for similar? Any advice appreciated. I'd say new gearbox after three years = not fit for purpose....

bakili
14-05-2014, 02:02 PM
Is it DSG?

Sent from my iPhone

alexpengilly
14-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Is it DSG?

Sent from my iPhone

No. . Normal 6 speed manual.

bakili
14-05-2014, 03:22 PM
Wow, this really bad!
I never heard of manual box failing!

Sent from my iPhone

Teflon
14-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Clutch and gearbox are not MOT test items. Someone went above and beyond the call of duty.

Did you by any chance go to a main dealer for your MOT? Did you have any symptoms or problems prior to driving in?

rjt64
14-05-2014, 04:30 PM
Was the car out of warranty? :zx11: (javascript:void(0))
Was the 2k it cost you after VW gave you 70% ?:zx11: (javascript:void(0)):zx11: (javascript:void(0))

alexpengilly
16-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Was the car out of warranty? :zx11: (javascript:void(0))
Was the 2k it cost you after VW gave you 70% ?:zx11: (javascript:void(0)):zx11: (javascript:void(0))

2k after 70% discount. Main vw dealer in leamington. Just out of warranty (1st MoT..) I noticed a couple of drops of clean oil had leaked where I had parked my car and asked them to check it out. Had only just started leaking as no oil on my driveway at home.

alexpengilly
16-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Noticed a couple of drops of oil when I pulled my car out of the car park at work at asked them to check it out. Main vw dealer in Leamington spa.

zollaf
16-05-2014, 01:37 PM
saw you coming then i would say !!!

Sam
16-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Please ask for the old parts back.

Teflon
17-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Thats £6.6k for a clutch and a gearbox without the "goodwill". I suggest a bit of research about pricing and a word with VW UK.

S66MJETDI
19-05-2014, 06:33 AM
The wifes Seat Exeo tdi has already had a clutch at 22k miles due to judder...... 2012 car. They wouldn't have it as a warranty claim either...... apparently driver error...! Her last b5 Audi she drove for 160k and never needed a clutch.... Thankfully this ones a company car so we didn't have to stump up.... would have been mighty annoyed else.

Dalski
19-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Cant believe you had to have a new gearbox after 32K miles miles!!!!!!!!!!!! I would definitely ask for the old parts back

Lukenkarl
20-05-2014, 03:47 PM
Your pants may have just been pulled down

Scottiedogg
10-12-2015, 08:53 AM
Heard a ticking noise from the car when in neutral so took it to local vw and was advised the clutch plate has broken down and spinning against the inside of the gear box so they definitely know about it. Couldn't get them to say it's common but a manager did say it's frequent. So am I looking at a £2k bill or will the Das Auto warranty cover it? The manager did say if it's the friction plate broken down then it's wear and tear but if it's another part of the clutch then it's manufacturer defect and hopefully the warranty will cover it.

By the way mines a 2012 2.0 tdi with 65k and otherwise drives and changes gear fine etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottiedogg
26-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread. Got my car back on Xmas eve. Only took the local dealership 14 days to sort out the gearbox. DAS auto warranty didn't cover the repair but as it was the pressure plate that failed rather than friction plate VW kindly offered 70% towards the repair bill. My contribution would be 30% so around £1400. I said no why should I pay for faulty parts to be replaced? Long story short the selling dealership eventually agreed to pay the difference so I'm a happier bunny now. However how should a new gearbox feel to drive? I've never had the luxury of driving a brand new car or ever needed a new gearbox before (before anyone asks I've been driving for 19 years and VWs for 18 of those) but does a new gearbox need running in so to speak as I find it occasionally quite notchy to put into gear. Reverse is by far the worst as it sometimes takes a couple of attempts to engage and often only after releasing the clutch all the way and then pressing it all way to the floor again.

Would appreciate your thoughts?

markmck
27-01-2016, 01:50 PM
I've just had a new clutch, flywheeel and exchange gearbox for my Passat CC - Stuck in gear (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/172652-Stuck-in-gear)

Turns out the pressure plate failed gouging metal out of the beel housing and emptying the gearbox of oil. Defintely a faulty part and they know about it.

I got the discount but still cost me close to £1400

Scottiedogg
28-01-2016, 07:24 PM
How long have you owned the car and what mileage have you done?

markmck
29-01-2016, 12:56 AM
just over 7 months shes 4.5 years old with 52K miles

Scottiedogg
29-01-2016, 07:41 AM
If you brought from a reputable dealership you could ask them to contribute to the cost of the repair - use the current version of the sale of goods act and state goods brought should last a reasonable amount of time. Worked for me as my car isn't quite 3 and a half years and 66k and just had new gearbox fitted to the clutch plate failing. Vw offered 70% and after some persuasion the selling dealership covered the rest luckily for me.

However my tracking now seems to be quite a bit out as the pulls quite a bit to the left and it's really noticeable on uneven road surfaces. I'm wondering if somethings not been set up right when they changed the gearbox?

markmck
29-01-2016, 10:54 AM
Wouldn't have thought the tracking would be affected by a gearbox change but depends what else they have to remove to get at it.

I may well try on the sale of good act - thanks for the tip

UMEL
30-01-2016, 05:28 AM
Following installation of a new clutch in my 5000 miles Yeti the tracking was out. The Skoda dealership service manager said it was road camber so after much ado I took the NEW vehicle to a third party to have it checked out. They confirmed the tracking was out and corrected it. The Skoda dealership had to pay + compensation.

If you brought from a reputable dealership you could ask them to contribute to the cost of the repair - use the current version of the sale of goods act and state goods brought should last a reasonable amount of time. Worked for me as my car isn't quite 3 and a half years and 66k and just had new gearbox fitted to the clutch plate failing. Vw offered 70% and after some persuasion the selling dealership covered the rest luckily for me.

However my tracking now seems to be quite a bit out as the pulls quite a bit to the left and it's really noticeable on uneven road surfaces. I'm wondering if somethings not been set up right when they changed the gearbox?

prophet
14-10-2016, 08:21 AM
How common is this? I'm thinking about buying a 2011 tdi sport in manual. I have a friend who has a 2012 and he has had to have a new gearbox and clutch in his.

UMEL
14-10-2016, 08:41 AM
That's 3 in how many hundreds of thousands not forgetting this combination are used across the VAG range. Luck of the draw as they say with any mechanical components. Lets not also forget how they have been driven.

SBJ
09-01-2017, 11:08 PM
6 speed manual 2.0TDI 140 - new clutch at 42,000 after hearing a ticking noise idling. They said it sounded like a component failure and 'something rubbing on the inside of the bell housing' and expected a large contribution from VW. My car is was of warranty but the dealer & VW contributed towards replacing the clutch. Still had to pay £240. I argued a bit and tried to find out what had failed but didn't get much more contribution as they said it was the clutch which is a wear and tear item. Not best pleased, but after reading this thread sounds like i was lucky the gearbox wasn't damaged. PS. not towing, just a typical family estate.

FLAPPERJACK76
10-01-2017, 07:30 AM
Common. ...Done at least 10 whilst working at Skoda. Very expensive and that's if you just replace the bell housing with the clutch and dmf.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Scottiedogg
10-01-2017, 08:13 AM
It's common enough for a VW tech to know what it was 1 minute into sitting in my last car.

FLAPPERJACK76
10-01-2017, 09:16 AM
It's the 6 speed gearbox with a Sachs clutch. A finger on the pressure plate bends backwards and machines itself through the bell housing. Sad thing is that the dealer's tend to put another Sachs clutch kit back in so. ...Might just happen again.

UMEL
10-01-2017, 10:48 AM
It's the 6 speed gearbox with a Sachs clutch. A finger on the pressure plate bends backwards and machines itself through the bell housing. Sad thing is that the dealer's tend to put another Sachs clutch kit back in so. ...Might just happen again.

How can we tell if we have a Sachs clutch.

FLAPPERJACK76
10-01-2017, 11:43 AM
Your gearbox starts leaking and you get a scraping noise? ... maybe wrong but I think they were all fitted with Sachs.

UMEL
10-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Your gearbox starts leaking and you get a scraping noise? ... maybe wrong but I think they were all fitted with Sachs.

So this may well be a case of 'bad batch of fingers' i.e. their manufacture or heat treatment.