PDA

View Full Version : Hand Brake Performance - 1995 Mk3 Gti 16v

dravidham
16-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Had a long overdue tinker with the Golf today and one of the things I replaced was the rear brake pads.
When re-fitting the rear wheels afterwards I noticed that when the hand brake is applied in full, it only seems to secure the drivers side rear wheel and the passenger side rear wheel rotates quite freely when the car is jacked up off the ground.
Is this normal or should the handbrake work on both sides as I suspect.
The cables are both connected to the claipers and do not seem to be snapped/broken.
Would this be a simple case of making a manual adjustment of the HB cable or should there also be something else I should check out in relation to this?.
Car is a '96 GTI 16v.
Thanks for reading and comments appreciated.

herby0001
21-09-2007, 08:57 PM
From what I remember when changing the brake shoes on a Mk3, the Haynes manual said you have to apply the foot brake several times for the self adjusting mechanism to get to the right position/setting. This will no doubt affect the handbrake performance if the shoes are not making proper contact with the drum.

I realise that you said you've got disks on the back, but I'd guess it may have something similar to what I've described.