PDA

View Full Version : Roof Problems

The Technician
13-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Hi,

I am thinking of getting a 2011 version and was wanting to know if the roof leak problems have been sorted and was there anything else I should look out for?

Cheers
Michael

Teflon
14-05-2014, 03:57 PM
The main issue was sorted around early 2007 when seal materials and designs were changed.

That doesn’t mean your car is going to be completely free of problems. Personally, I wouldn’t keep any sort of convertible out in the winter snow and ice, especially an Eos. Hence the reason why my wife’s has been garaged for its entire life and is still leak free.

Anyway …………..

Drop the roof and inspect all the seals for signs of hardening, cracking and pinching. They’re supposed to be lubricated every year with Krytox, but if my experience with main dealers is typical it won’t have been done.

Check for signs of damp in the foot wells and especially all around the boot and around the spare wheel. It’s easier to hide at this time of year – they just drop the roof, open the boot and let it dry in the sun but you might still see tide marks or stains.

Don’t be too paranoid about the odd signs of a drip, especially in a car that has been subjected to the £5 a time drive through pressure washer treatment once a week, but beware any signs of major ingress. Have a good look around the opening sunroof part of the mechanism as well.

Make sure you drive the car roof up and roof down and listen for bangs and clonks. Ours came out of the factory incorrectly assembled and it was only the eventual threat to reject the car that got VW HQ to sort it. It’s been perfect ever since. Also check for any unusual folding and opening movement.

The Technician
14-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Thanks will check the points you raised :biglaugh: