PDA

View Full Version : HUD not in focus

Adrian James
12-05-2014, 03:36 PM
just thought i should warn other A7 (+other Audi) owners with HUD, i just had my windscreen replaced due to a crack and the HUD would not focus correctly in day and nighttime. I reported this straight away to Autoglass who done the work at my office address and they came out to check, they agreed that it was not in focus and almost 'fuzzy' and that it was not an original Audi windscreen although it was the same manufacture as the Audi ones. they spoke to Audi in front of me and it was the conclusion that an original screen needed to be fitted. Autoglass ordered one, which took 3 weeks to come in and swapped them over, the HUD is now in perfect focus. I would also like to thank Autoglass for the way they dealt with this, it is an expensive screen but they were very professional about everything and apologised to me for the time it took to sort out. :o

Guest 2
12-05-2014, 06:16 PM
Another tale of always fit genuine parts :)

Adrian James
12-05-2014, 08:04 PM
the strange thing was that the one they fitted first was made by the same manufacturer, but Audi obviously had a different spec - as the HUD display proved.

M1tchy
12-05-2014, 09:41 PM
The screens for cars with a HUD have an insert between the two sheets of glass that helps the HUD focus correctly.

@mark
13-05-2014, 08:05 AM
I had the screen on mine replaced twice in a period of about 8 weeks. In both cases, Auto Windscreens (who Tesco use) didn't even mention using 3rd party glass but automatically ordered up an original screen from the dealer. Their argument was that there are just to many variations of the A7 screen to make OEM a viable option to carry in stock.

Worth pointing out that even with original used glass, on the first screen, the focus on the HUD still needed adjusting (I am not sure if it's an electronic or manual adjustment)

Adrian James
13-05-2014, 04:00 PM
i didn't know you could adjust the focus ! did the dealer do this for you ?

@mark
13-05-2014, 04:21 PM
i didn't know you could adjust the focus ! did the dealer do this for you ?

Yes. The first screen was replaced at the same time as the HUD unit was swapped out due to a rattle so even though the screen was fitted by Autoglass, it was done in the dealers workshop

So Autoglass visited the dealer and removed the screen, then the dealer fitted the new HUD, then Autoglass came back the next day to fit the new screen (supplied by the same dealer) then the dealer has to calibrate and focus the new HUD. A right royal pain in the backside to organise

So yes it can be/ has to be focused and yes its a dealer job

Gavin0478
13-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Are there settings in vcds perhaps?

M1tchy
13-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Nope. Not for the HUD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sauron
13-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Timely post, picked up a chip last Friday and Auto Windscreens are coming yo house to replace on Saturday. I'll certainly have a good check on focus once new screen us in. They have no excuse though as I phoned the branch specifically to let them know the options: HUD, lane assist high beam etc. in fairness the chap I was speaking with also mentioned the acoustic glass which I had forgotten so fingers crossed it'll all be fine.

M1tchy
13-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Found the info I had....

The windshield is an important optical component of the head-up display. Because the display image is also reflected by the windshield, its function represents a third mirror.
A standard windshield can create a disruptive double image.
The windshield of a vehicle with the head-up display differs from a conventional windshield in that the PVB foil (polyvinyl butyral) between the two flat glass panes of a head-up windshield is not a constant thickness.
A head-up windshield has a slight wedge shape, so the thickness of the windshield increases slightly in an upward direction. This wedge shape eliminates the potential for double images.
The tolerances for windshield installation are very tight for a vehicle with head-up display.

Optical System
The head-up display is generated by backlighting with 15 LEDs a high resolution TFT display, which is a matrix of Thin Film Transistors.
The display’s function is similar to that of a
slide projector. Light rays are projected via two deflection mirrors onto the windshield. One of the two mirrors is adjustable and is used for height adjustment of the display. This adapts the position of the head-up image to the seating position or body size of the driver.
The mirrors also correct any image distortion caused by curvature of the windshield.
The light intensity of the displayed image is continuously adapted to current ambient lighting conditions. To do this, Windshield Projection Head Up Display Control Module J898 evaluates luminosity values from Rain/Light Recognition Sensor G397.
The driver can adjust the brightness of the display according to their needs. This is done through the MMI and the system controls located on the vehicle light switch.
The light intensity is configured so the display also remains easily legible in direct sunlight.

Ive also got the calibration procedure if anyone is interested. Will need to be emailed though as there are a lot of pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sauron
13-05-2014, 09:34 PM
M1tchy

Hopefully it won't be required but stand fast on that pending the new screen on Saturday.

M1tchy
13-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Will do! ;-)

Just drop me a PM if you want the info and I'll send it over.

Sauron
14-05-2014, 05:43 AM
Thanks M1tchy I will do if required.

Adrian James
16-05-2014, 03:03 PM
from what i have been told since by both Autoglass and Audi, only a genuine Audi screen will be 100%. its easy to spot one, it has the audi logo next to the screens part number in the bottom corner.

Timely post, picked up a chip last Friday and Auto Windscreens are coming yo house to replace on Saturday. I'll certainly have a good check on focus once new screen us in. They have no excuse though as I phoned the branch specifically to let them know the options: HUD, lane assist high beam etc. in fairness the chap I was speaking with also mentioned the acoustic glass which I had forgotten so fingers crossed it'll all be fine.

Adrian James
16-05-2014, 03:06 PM
I would like to see the calibration procedure, i will also show it to the dealer who still tells me it cannot be done !

M1tchy
16-05-2014, 08:38 PM
Drop me a PM with your email address and I will forward it to you

Sauron
17-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Disappointingly still have a chipped windscreen as the flexible printed circuit at the top of the new windscreen (for connecting the rain/light sensor and lane depart camera) was damaged. Luckily discovered before old screen removed, hopefully have better luck next Saturday.

M1tchy
17-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Well that was lucky! Just before I went to Afghanistan last year, the wives A5 had a cracked screen so auto glass came to fix it, cut the old one out and then lined up the new one to find it was from the old A5! They came back a few days later with another one but it was for an A4! so her car was left with no screen while we went to Afghan and a friend had to sort it for us! There are so many screens out there and so many optional extras fitted, it must be near impossible to get right these days.

Adrian James
17-05-2014, 06:56 PM
thanks to Chris (M1tchy) for the tech info, what a mine of information this is on all the techy bits including the HUD, of this amazing car, right up my street and so well written :beerchug:

M1tchy
17-05-2014, 07:13 PM
No probs. I've got others on all sorts of other different systems. I've no idea how to store them online but happy to email them if you are interested

Adrian James
17-05-2014, 07:21 PM
yes please

M1tchy
17-05-2014, 07:33 PM
They are sending - with my speedy 1.8 Mbps they could be a while lol

There are 5 in total including this mornings.

Sauron
23-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Well windscreen now replaced by Auto Windscreens and have to say overall I'm fairly pleased; the one minor downside was that the plastic VIN number in the lower left of the screen was slightly scratched when removing the old screen. Obviously given the chat in thus thread I've given everything a good check out, in particular the HUD display which I'm pleased to say remains nice and sharp. The weather today also meant that the ring sensor has also had a good check out and I've also just checked the HBA and active headlights.

One point of interest though was that for the initial check of the lane assist had the car steering left of centre initially. By which I mean rather than bisecting the white lines it wanted to sit the left wheel on the cats eyes on a dual carriage way. My initial thought was that the camera module had been put back off centre, however, after a couple of miles it sorted itself out and behaved as normal. I was wondering, has anybody else experienced this or know if the system is effectively self calibrating comparing trajectory wheel position?

As I said all working as per usual now but a little disconcerting initially as it tried to steer the car from the centre of the lane.

@mark
24-05-2014, 09:07 AM
I get the impression with the A7 that they designed it with screen removal/replacement in mind. After all. some jobs like the HUD require the screen to be removed to access.

As such, the sensors and cameras have been positioned and engineered in such a way that even if the screen is replaced at the road side, everything should still work just fine. It's much harder to "break" things. This is in contrast to previous cars where a screen replacement left you terrified that something would not work afterwards even when done by the dealer

RyanGiraud101
10-09-2019, 09:18 PM
Found the info I had....

The windshield is an important optical component of the head-up display. Because the display image is also reflected by the windshield, its function represents a third mirror.
A standard windshield can create a disruptive double image.
The windshield of a vehicle with the head-up display differs from a conventional windshield in that the PVB foil (polyvinyl butyral) between the two flat glass panes of a head-up windshield is not a constant thickness.
A head-up windshield has a slight wedge shape, so the thickness of the windshield increases slightly in an upward direction. This wedge shape eliminates the potential for double images.
The tolerances for windshield installation are very tight for a vehicle with head-up display.

Optical System
The head-up display is generated by backlighting with 15 LEDs a high resolution TFT display, which is a matrix of Thin Film Transistors.
The display’s function is similar to that of a
slide projector. Light rays are projected via two deflection mirrors onto the windshield. One of the two mirrors is adjustable and is used for height adjustment of the display. This adapts the position of the head-up image to the seating position or body size of the driver.
The mirrors also correct any image distortion caused by curvature of the windshield.
The light intensity of the displayed image is continuously adapted to current ambient lighting conditions. To do this, Windshield Projection Head Up Display Control Module J898 evaluates luminosity values from Rain/Light Recognition Sensor G397.
The driver can adjust the brightness of the display according to their needs. This is done through the MMI and the system controls located on the vehicle light switch.
The light intensity is configured so the display also remains easily legible in direct sunlight.

Ive also got the calibration procedure if anyone is interested. Will need to be emailed though as there are a lot of pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Could you please send me the calibration procedure, I have been driving myself insane trying to figure out why my HUD is so fuzzy. Thanks from the states. Ryangiraud@yahoo.com