PDA

View Full Version : GOLF MK3 1.4 cutting out

ducaticam
16-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Hi i have a mk3 golf 1994 and am having trouble with it.
right well the car is fine on a normal day but since its been hot the past month it cuts out when your driving along the road, it wont bump start, leave it for a miute and crank it and it'll be fine for another 5 minutes then die again, like maybe its getting to hot. the garage plugged a snap on machine into it and it came up with "no signal from hall sensor" so they put a new vw distributor in it but the code wont clear, it can't be the distributor, any1 any ideas? was wondering about a coolent temp sensor or sumthing?

many thanks

Campbell

Willsjunk
16-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Hi i have a mk3 golf 1994 and am having trouble with it.
right well the car is fine on a normal day but since its been hot the past month it cuts out when your driving along the road, it wont bump start, leave it for a miute and crank it and it'll be fine for another 5 minutes then die again, like maybe its getting to hot. the garage plugged a snap on machine into it and it came up with "no signal from hall sensor" so they put a new vw distributor in it but the code wont clear, it can't be the distributor, any1 any ideas? was wondering about a coolent temp sensor or sumthing?

many thanks

Campbell
Hey, I have the same fault. Although my car can travel some distance before it decides to give up. It will start and run, sometimes cut out when hot, other times i switch off, come back within the hour and it will not have it, an hour later it starts up again! Was thinkin about the hall sensor coz i got no spark at the king lead when it happens. I have changed the coil, dizzy cap and rotor arm. I have been told about the hall, but if the pick up in your dizzy has only one slot instead of four, you could have a crank sensor which could cause the problem. Im waiting to find out from someone more knowledgeable before i pass the cash. Will let you know.

golfyjammer
18-07-2006, 06:37 PM
my car had a 1.4 engine in before the conversion.
and i had the same problem.
i spent over £200 trying to sort it, i changed plugs, leads, coil, relays in the end it was the dizzy! i bought a second hand one for £20! it was fine after.

ducaticam
19-07-2006, 10:07 PM
i already bout a 2nd hand one and it still never made any difference so i bought a new one from euro car parts at £95 and it's still not fixed, don't know what to try next ????

Any ideas?

golfyjammer
19-07-2006, 10:37 PM
relays? not sure which ones though?

fuel filter?

Willsjunk
22-07-2006, 01:14 PM
I just changed my crank sensor and it cured the fault. Finally.

Low_V_DUB
22-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Alrite mate, it could be anyone of these things :

1) You could have a tooth out on your timing

2) Could possibly need a new hall sensor in the distributor

4) Change relay number 30

5) Crack sensor could need changing

The most expensive of these is number (5) so id leave that untill you have cleared (1) to (4), id go for number (4) first as its the cheapest and most common fault.

Hope this helps, Cheers.