PDA

View Full Version : TDI PD Cam Belt

irbathome
15-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Hi,
As I'm new to this forum please forgive me if this thread is an old one. Anyway my query is has anyone heard of the 4 year rule re timing belt changes:confused:. I have a 2001 TDI 130 with 45000 miles but as its 5 years old should I be changing it or wait until the recommended 60000 miles.
The second question is should I also change the water pump (at timing belt change) as I've heard stories of the plastic fins breaking on some pumps but I can't find out if my AWX engine has a plastic finned water pump or not.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Ian

glynnd
17-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Belt interval is 5yrs or 60k whichever comes first. I would definitely change the water pump at the same time as the belt because the pump is only about £25 plus vat exchange from VW and changing the pump would involve removing the cambelt anyway.

irbathome
20-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks glynnd for the reply.
Just an update - I have had the cam belt inspected how its just over 4 years old and 45,000 miles and on looking at it with a qualified VW mechanic and friend I was advised not to drive it until the belt had been changed. The outside of the belt was shiny and cracked. So its getting all new belts and a water pump, not VW, with metal fins. So much for VW's recommendation of 5 years or 60,000.
Regards
Ian