PDA

View Full Version : Instrument problem - HAUNTED?

adehardman
16-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Hi

I have a 99 Caddy SDi

The problem that I have is when I start the car the intrument panel dies..
#
So no speedo, temp guage, fuel guage milometer etc

But as you remove the key the fuel & temp guage flicker and move until the keys removed and the go ... But thats when the milometer starts to work..

Is the van haunted?? :D

Any ideas ...

Ade

JoeGoodwin
24-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Hi Ade,

I'm haveing a very similar problem with my 97 transporter. I replaced the instrument pod with on from a scrap van and it still doesnt work. There doesnt appear to be any fuses gone or anything. The previous owner also had the speed sensor on the gearbox replaced, so thats eliminated.

A friend suggested to me it might be an earthing problem, so i'm going to look into that. I'm also going to connect up to the ECU and see if thats throwing up any faults.

I'll let you know hopefully tommorrow if i find anything.

Joe

adehardman
26-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Hi Joe,

Any news on this yet?

A

JoeGoodwin
26-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Erm, kind of. My transporter is the 2.4 non turbo which doesnt have an ECU so that was a non starter. SO this afternoon i'm diving into the wiring loom with my multi meter to see what i can find. I'll keep you posted pal :-)

Joe

Red October
14-01-2008, 03:41 PM
anyt results yet ? i have exactly the same problem with the binnacle ?

Diamond Hell
14-01-2008, 05:07 PM
The dead gauges sounds like an earthing problem.

The T4 issue sounds like a dry joint in the instrument panel, which is quite common.

adehardman
14-01-2008, 05:38 PM
anyt results yet ? i have exactly the same problem with the binnacle ?
Nope not yet! :mad:

kenney
14-01-2008, 08:01 PM
When this happens on your Caddy,see if the heater blower and the wipers work?

adehardman
14-01-2008, 08:48 PM
When this happens on your Caddy,see if the heater blower and the wipers work?
My instrument panel does not work - period! Occasionally the dials may do a little jump .

The wipers and heater blower works fine!

I am just going to plug VAG - COM in .

adehardman
14-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Its found 2 faults -

00741 - Brake Pedal Monitoring
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
00522 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62)
30-00 Open or Short to B+

Not sure but they dont look like they are causing my probs?:zx11:

kenney
14-01-2008, 09:46 PM
No nothing to do with it.I remember a job on a Caddy,a long time ago, it was something to do with the instruments,i cant remember what it was,but it turned out to be of all things, the interior light switch on the door pillar.

adehardman
14-01-2008, 10:24 PM
No nothing to do with it.I remember a job on a Caddy,a long time ago, it was something to do with the instruments,i cant remember what it was,but it turned out to be of all things, the interior light switch on the door pillar.

its been like this since I bought it, when I got it the passenger side switch was damaged so I removed it... I will have a look at this - ta very much :beerchug: