PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft pins while doing the timing belt

oldandbald
28-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with my query concerning a timing belt job I'm attempting on my A3 2.0ltr TDI BKD engine. Twin overhead cam engine.

Before removing the old belt I timed the crank and two camhafts using the locking pins in the two camshafts and the toothed pawl that locks the crank pully. I left these in place when I removed the old belt. All seemed ok, and new water pump fitted and all new tensioners/idlers in place. I fitted the new belt but cannot now remove the locking pins in both camshafts..............

And that is even after slackening the three bolts on each cam wheel, and removing the new belt to see if that had gripped them. The engine has not been rotated.

Now these pins with the plastic balls on the end pushed in by hand initially quite easily, but now are held in by a death grip. Can any one tell me what I've done wrong, and how I should go from here?

Many thanks!

zollaf
28-04-2014, 08:33 PM
at the timing position there is a rotational force upon the camshaft and this is what is gripping the pins. simply turn the crank a little to move the cam pulleys and release the tension, once the belt is on and tight.

oldandbald
28-04-2014, 09:57 PM
at the timing position there is a rotational force upon the camshaft and this is what is gripping the pins. simply turn the crank a little to move the cam pulleys and release the tension, once the belt is on and tight.

Thanks for that, but the cams don't move as the pins have them solid. There is perhaps 3 -5 degrees of movement

I had the new belt on tight and rocked the crank pulley gently back and forth (perhaps a few degrees) but the pins did not want to move. The pins rotate (just) but won't come out. As I said I haven't rotated the engine any more than a few degrees either way and the synchronisation has not altered so I'm confident nothing has "touched". I understand that the end of these pins seat into a recess in the cylinder head ( after passing through the camshaft sprockets so I'm wary of forcing anything.
I'm just baffled how hard the pins are so stuck.

PS I too run veggie oil, but in my Defender :banana:

I'll put the belt back on tomorrow and try again

Right, have had it all apart again and still cannot move them. They will rotate with grips on them (only just) but will not pull out even with grips. This is the same with the belt on or off.......

I used the proper 6mm pins which although they were a tightish push fit in, didn't need forced to seat. I have heard that others have used 5.5mm Allen keys as they cannot get the pins in on this engine which just gives a little more play. I'm gobsmacked at how tight these pins are stuck in. Any ideas on how to remove them anyone?

oldandbald
29-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Got them out eventually with mole grips and a tyre lever. Not exactly how I like to treat an engine.

5.5 mm Allen keys are the way to go!