PDA

View Full Version : TPMS question...

chriswales
25-04-2014, 12:32 AM
I have been doing some searching on this and I'm struggling to get a positive answer

Car-2012 B7 Sport 140 estate
I want to rotate my rear wheels to the front then put the spare from the boot (unused) on one rear side and a new tyre on the other rear side.
Been to two tyre places and two VW places today and nobody seems able to conclusively say what I can and can't do.

VW employ two types of system from what I can gather from the manual
1- indirect is ABS based ("tyre monitor display" in the manual- this is the one with the calibration button/MFD calibration)
2- direct is a sensor in the wheel ("TPMS" in the manual, says it doesn't use a button).

My question- the lack of reset button and the MFD options I have suggest its #2, so assuming this is the case, can I just rotate the wheels or do they need to be "programmed" if I do?

25-04-2014, 11:20 AM
The Sport model uses the sensor in the wheel and it sorts itself out when wheels are changed/swapped around. See reply in another forum.

chriswales
25-04-2014, 12:08 PM
The Sport model uses the sensor in the wheel and it sorts itself out when wheels are changed/swapped around. See reply in another forum.

Thanks, I did do a search but couldn't find anything specific
edit- see what you mean now about "the other thread" ;)

juice
26-04-2014, 12:42 PM
I have tpms on my alltrack. I recently switched back to my summer tyres that had spent the winter in my shed. I took the opportunity of rotating front to back, when I first set off the screen was displaying the higher pressure tyres, the new back tyres as being still on the front. As said above within an hour they were correctly showing as being on the back. It's magic.

chriswales
27-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Been into my local VW place yesterday for a tyre on the premise that if it needed coding etc for a wheel rotation is was their problem.
Tyres were all rotated, they confirmed that I have direct TPMS with individual sensors and no calibration button.

I let a tyre down afterwards and the car correctly identified which corner it was in so it does indeed work out for itself that the wheels have moved.