PDA

View Full Version : Headlamp Adjustment for Europe

daweller
15-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Just had my headlamps adjusted for driving in Europe via main dealer.

Now when car started get headlamp range control warning :1zhelp:

Whats that all about ? Is it a code dded by the dealer to wind you up and ensure you go back and have it readjusted every time ? So they can charge you each timeyou go abroad ?

Why cant the headlamp beams be left adjusted straight ahead like every European country !:zx11:

daweller
02-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Surely I cant be the only person who has had lamps adjusted for europe ?

:1zhelp:

webchem
03-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Didn't know you could have headlamps adjusted for Europe...

Also didn't know that most European countries have the adjusted straight-on. I was looking forward to the old round circle sticky from Halfords that is about as much use as a colander to catch the rain...

daweller
03-10-2007, 05:25 PM
The Halfords sticky patches don't work on Xenon lamps apparently

A6Rod
04-10-2007, 07:50 PM
According to my drivers handbook you can adjust the lights yourself for Europe. They must have changed it from my 1999 A6.

mhobson
04-10-2007, 08:22 PM
My RHD 1996 A6 with the dome lens headlights had levers at the back of the lamp unit which you just pushed across to change from left dip to right dip but my LHD 1999 A6 has no adjustment levers, maybe they were only fitted to RHD cars. I cannot understand how the lights could be adjusted by computer there are as far as I know no motors in the units aside from the load level adjustment.

The beams do not point straight ahead as someone suggested. If you point the car at a wall you will see a clear straight line cut off at the top of the beams which will either slope down to the right or left dependant upon whether adjusted for RHD or LHD reducing glare to oncoming traffic.

Regards,

Michael

webchem
04-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Found the bit in the manual - ta guys!

I do love the way Audi make it almost impossible to get access to the headlights without serious socket set use! Wasn't quite as bad in Volvo 850 (but not as much fun to drive)!

Will see if the levers exist in my 2001 Avant, be nice not to have to put in stick stickies on!