PDA

View Full Version : Question SDCard and Hiden Files

djkprojects
15-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Hello,

This I suppose is more of a question for Apple Forum but someone here hopefully will be able to advise.

When Copying MP3s onto SD Card Mac always creates hidden files e.g. if a MP3 file is "Artist - Title.mp3" it will create a hidden version "._Artist_-_Title". This is annoying as the Audi Reader picks these up as well even though they're not valid MP3.

Anyone knows how to prevent Mac from creating these? I know how to remove them from SD Card via terminal but that's just pain :/

Thanks

gdallas
15-04-2014, 09:19 PM
quick solution, open the sd card in a windows laptop, search for whatever he extension is of teh hidden files, then delete them all in a one go. doesnt matter if they are all in folders either.

djkprojects
15-04-2014, 09:42 PM
the problem is I don't have a machine with Windows so I'd need to use VirtualBox etc. - seems too much hassle for what it is - I wonder why Mac creates these hidden files anyway :/

Thanks

gdallas
15-04-2014, 09:45 PM
whats the extension of these files, are you sure its not created playlists files?

djkprojects
15-04-2014, 09:51 PM
Hi, they don't have extension as they start with dot. These are definitely created by Mac and the MP3s are just files so no playlists. Just checked the directory I copied them from and there aren't hidden files there so they must be getting created whilst copying over - most odd :confused:

EDIT - actually the do have an extension: "._Artist - Title.mp3"

djkprojects
15-04-2014, 09:59 PM
OK - I think I found an answer - apparently Mac creates these hidden files when copying onto non-Mac File Systems, in this case FAT-16

b206
17-04-2014, 10:02 PM
I have the same problem - the solution is fairly straight forward!
You need to use dot_clean on your mac.

Applications > Utilities > Terminal

Type:
cd /Volumes

I'm presuming your SD card is called "Music".

Then type:
dot_clean Music

This will remove all the "dot" files from the volume Music.

Hope that helps.

djkprojects
17-04-2014, 10:26 PM
Hi,

Thanks, I'm using Blueharvest which automatically removes all hidden dot files on eject.