PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Audi engine just cut off

djkprojects
14-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Hello,

I've just bought my first ever Audi A4 Avant late 2008 with start/stop key so this is my first post here :)

I've beeen driving it for the last few days with no issues until today. I stopped at the traffic light waiting for the green and when just about to set off realized that the engine was off. I haven't stalled it or anything so not sure what happened. Few minutes later I was cruising in the 2nd gear at the nearby shopping centre and it happened again when going over a bump. Any ideas what might have caused it?

Thank you

M1tchy
14-04-2014, 03:10 PM
The first one is possibly your start stop kicking in, it should start itself again when you go to pull away from the lights, the second one I don't know. Were you still moving when it cut out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

djkprojects
14-04-2014, 03:18 PM
Hi,

Yes, I was in second gear and just slightly slowed down when going over the bumper and the engine just cut off :confused:

Thanks !!!

EDIT: Just reading about Start/Stop and it sounds like Audi introduced these in 2009 - mine is late 2008 so don't think it actually have the technology or am I wrong ?

Guest 2
14-04-2014, 04:12 PM
All B8s have start stop, you need the car scanned for faults.

_tones
14-04-2014, 04:24 PM
All B8s have start stop, you need the car scanned for faults.

This isn't entirely true. I have a B8 2010 S-Line and it doesn't have start stop. I'm not sure if you mean it became standard in the B8.5 (facelift)?

p.s. you normally have the button on the console to disable start stop (think it's just behind the electronic handbrake). It's an A with a circle around it from memory. I had it once on a B8 courtesy car.

Guest 2
14-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Oh well you learn something new everyday, I assumed they all came with it.

But still, the car needs scanned for faults ;)

_tones
14-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Oh well you learn something new everyday, I assumed they all came with it.

But still, the car needs scanned for faults ;)

Indeed it does need to be scanned.

The first time I had it and the car stopped I didn't know what had happened. Thought the car died. The best thing about it is, if you do stall (not that i do ;-)), you just press the clutch to start the car. I'm not convinced though that in the long term, it doesn't cause damage to the car.

Sinspeed
14-04-2014, 04:45 PM
The start / stop is a great function when it works. We have it on the company car (BMW 1-Series) and if the car mat drags too far up behind the brake pedal, it can interfere with the signal and stop the function working - or if the sensor behind the pedal gets dirty.

Scanning is a must, but if it's happening on de-acceleration as you say then it may be worth whipping the airmass, egr, throttle body off for a good clean up - even if it doesn't help solve the issue, it's always nice :)

djkprojects
14-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Is it lot of work to clean the throttle body in these ? I'm going with the car to the garage I bought it from as realized they haven't change the cambelt (which was due last year :zx11:) so might as well ask them to have a look at this.

Thanks guys

Guest 2
14-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Don't go doing anything until its been scanned!!

On modern cars there is no point in guessing.

djkprojects
14-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Yes, I will ask them to scan it first thanks. Out of curiosity, how much on avg does scanning cost (for future reference ;)) ?

Guest 2
14-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Depends who's doing it and what they use to scan it. Ideally VCDS is needed or Audi themselves.