PDA

View Full Version : VW Polo central locking problem

JJT
13-07-2006, 11:39 PM
I have a 1.4 polo 4 door with a bizarre central locking problem. Can only unlock from passenger door, cannot lock from passenger door. Cannot unlock from drivers door but can usually lock (but often not first time)

anybody got any good ideas?

greas-E-monkey
15-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Hi there sounds like the micro switch in the lock units themselves are faulty. If you take the door handles out completely you will see the slot in which the paddle from the lock barrel fits and operates the door.
With the handles removed you can put a flat screw driver in there and test the lock itself.
Sometimes the paddles on the door barrels break and cause similair probs, lets hope that is the case as its much cheaper and easier than replacing the door locks.
If your car is model year 2000 onwards you can test the micro switches by putting the key in the door and using the total closure function to operate the electric windows. if the windows go both up and down then the door locks are ok and we need to look elsewhere for the problem.

Hope this helps:wiggle:

whistlingrufus
02-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Essentially the same problem. VW Polo 1.4 3 door 2001. I unlocked the door, the door unlocked, both windows dropped and the key jammed into the lock. After about 20 minutes the key was freely turning and I got it back out. Tested the locks and windows and all appeared to be OK. The next day I found that the driver side and the hatchback locks cannot be opened and are stuck fast when trying to use the key (all locks operate OK when using the lock/unlock switch inside the car). The passenger side door lock is OK and is working fine at all times.

Laksevag
16-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Essentially the same problem. VW Polo 1.4 3 door 2001. I unlocked the door, the door unlocked, both windows dropped and the key jammed into the lock. After about 20 minutes the key was freely turning and I got it back out. Tested the locks and windows and all appeared to be OK. The next day I found that the driver side and the hatchback locks cannot be opened and are stuck fast when trying to use the key (all locks operate OK when using the lock/unlock switch inside the car). The passenger side door lock is OK and is working fine at all times.

I Have a VW Polo 5 Doors and the same happend to me.
Key stuck in the door and 2 open windows in wind and rain in a supermrket car park. Eventually forced the key back and got it out .
Now I cant lock the drivers door. It doesen't respond to anything.
All the others do lock. It's a mystery.

yeager2004
18-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Hi

I too have this problem - the key became jamed in the passenger door in my missus mk 5 Polo - the AA managed to remove the key but now

* the lock on the passenger side it totally jammed
* from the driver's side you can unlock the car using the central locking (all doors unlock) but when you lock the car, only the drivers side locks - the C/L motor doesn't operate)

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can go about fixing this?

Thanks

Ade

polo9n
19-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Hello All
My 02 Vw Polo 9n Has Experienced A Central Locking Problem.
All Good When Locking The Car With The Remote, But When Trying To Lock Passenger Door From Driver Central Control.
The Passenger Door Lock Went Down And Pops Up Again
Its Good If I Lock It Manually.
Any One Knows Why

shooey88
27-04-2007, 05:00 PM
this is a mechanical fault....the lock barrell with paddle is broken. remove the handle from door and you will find lock barrell containing paddle broken. quick cheap easy fix. no electrical problem and no faults would be stored on a vag com related

dellhen
27-10-2007, 12:51 PM
if pump fails,central locking pump located behind o/s/r light cluster, quick fix to open doors, petrol cap is to blow/suck into tube attached to pump, tube levered off with a screwdriver.

martin1988
10-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi all,
I have a 98 polo 6n and having problems with the central locking. Finished work and went to open car door and felt like nothing there when turning the key. Used passanger door for a few weeks until that lock went. :confused: Has anybody got any ideas what has happend?

Thanks

Vo.Po
13-08-2008, 03:17 AM
There is a security feature built into them, if someone tries to force the lock, the barrel will just spin

Take it out and have a look, not sure if you will have to replace the barrel or not though

edwoodwood
21-08-2008, 11:02 PM
I have a 2001 3 dr polo with a central locking alarm system. The remotes have stopped working and i can only lock the car with the key, which means the alarm isnt active. Where do i go to get my remotes fixed

Avfc1
23-08-2008, 01:16 PM
i also have a central locking problem with my golf, the key wont fit into drivers door, is jammed and its also hard to turn in passenger door.

Remote locking is also bad, recently the car locks drivers door, then i have to press the fob about 4 times then it seems to lock passenger door seperately and then sets the alarm!

Nightmare!

philpugh
07-10-2008, 02:23 PM
this is a mechanical fault....the lock barrell with paddle is broken. remove the handle from door and you will find lock barrell containing paddle broken. quick cheap easy fix. no electrical problem and no faults would be stored on a vag com related

Sorry to bump this topic but was the reply above given to this question (it's not clear as to the context).

Hello All
My 02 Vw Polo 9n Has Experienced A Central Locking Problem.
All Good When Locking The Car With The Remote, But When Trying To Lock Passenger Door From Driver Central Control.
The Passenger Door Lock Went Down And Pops Up Again
Its Good If I Lock It Manually.
Any One Knows Why

Only I have exactly the same problem as described by polo9n on my '99 Bora TDi 110 SE. But it is showing as a fault (implausible state) on VAG-COM

Thanks

JIBAJABA
30-10-2008, 11:35 AM
me too got broken lock barrel so bought a remote locking kit.
only poblem is i cant determine where the switch motor is, can find the compressor in the boot.
any ideas?
got a wiring diagram?
thanks

ecudev
09-11-2008, 10:53 PM
me too got broken lock barrel so bought a remote locking kit.
only poblem is i cant determine where the switch motor is, can find the compressor in the boot.
any ideas?
got a wiring diagram?
thanks

Switch motor? The compressor pushes and pulls the door switch toggles up and down. Or did you mean something else?

By the way, can you let me know which remote locking kit you bought? Do you have a link to it?
Thanks

feroz28
21-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Can't believe that this was such a common fault. My 54 plate polo tdi'd driver door lock is so stiff i can't turn the key. When i do then the windows open and i can't turn the key back to close the windows.

Can anybody help by telling me how to remove the door handle?

kevdood
24-03-2009, 03:09 PM
got the same problem on my wifes 2001 Polo. Both door locks not operating properly. Unfortunately, the drivers on has broken the case barrel the lock barrel site in, so had to buy a new handle - which now have to paint!!

The passenger side just needed a new carrier/excentric set etc.

But, here is my issue, I cannot seem to get it all back together - I have no good one to copy unfortunately!!

Does anyone have any pictures they can post up, or a decent diagram?

Is seems that there are 2 ways round (0deg and 180deg) that the bottom ring (the one with 3 tabs on it) can sit (on top of the end of the lock barrel). This the determines which way the long shaft with the flattened end will go on, but I don't know if it matters which way round it goes?

And then, where does the spring clip into. I cannot get it together how I think it might go - should the spring be under tension.....?

Any help or explanations would be greatly appreciated.

kevdood
25-03-2009, 03:34 PM
All sorted now. The long shaft sits on top of the spring! After a bit of force, it all went together nicely.

thummim
30-11-2009, 03:39 PM
We have similar problems here in South Africa:

There seems to be some confusion in some of the posts about whether it is a vacuum pump locking system or electric.

With the vacuum system check the vacuum hoses for leaks, the fuel flap often has a problem with the plastic cover for the mechanism and lets in air. Can only be replaced.

The electric central locking system suffers from problems with the solenoid jamming in the locked position especially with the rear doors in the 5 door version.
In that case place a piece of wood on the door framing which has the release push knob poking our of it, cover the knob with a rag, and with a pair of pliers hold it and using the wood as a fulcrum lever the knob up. It will give considerable resistance but the door will open.
Problem is the solenoid has to be replaced.

berlindodi
25-12-2009, 05:51 AM
Hi, I have recently had my 3 door 2007 VW Polo returned from the smash repairer after it had cosmetic surgery following a Kangaroo incident.

The weirdest thing is now the passenger side front door will not open with the door release from the inside. The central locking is fine and opening from the outside is no problem. The manual tells me nothing... I have left a message with the repairer to ring me in the new year.

On the inside, the door release has no tension in it at all when you use it. As if it isn't even connected to anything thing. It can't be therefore electronic or a child lock function.

Any thoughts??

All I have is that it's busted and I don't know how to fix it. Thanks

irish colin
11-04-2010, 10:06 AM
HELP
I also have a similar problem. My central locking works fine except that I am unable to open both drivers and passengers doors from inside. There is no resistance on the insude door handles.I have to lower the window and open door from outside handle.

Please help

myke
13-05-2010, 03:59 PM

Mine is a 2001 1.4 tdi polo and I have been to the scrap yard twice today because the barrel paddle I bought initially got broken while applying some pressure so it could fix properly. Got another paddle now but I can't afford to let it break again. My bid problem is with the spring. Again, is it possible to set a new barrel up for use with the original key?. Helps most welcome

Chris O'neill
12-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Hi I have a 2000 plate polo 5 door every time i unlock my car central locking opens but when i go to take key out it locks it's self

Jackh91
17-11-2018, 11:19 AM
I have a similar problem on my 5 door polo 2001 that the central locking unlocks all doors from drivers door but only locks the drivers door and have to lock others manually any help would be greatly appreciated

dean32
03-06-2021, 11:16 PM
i have a vw polo 2001 5 door but my problem is ive noticed with the key i can lock and un lock both front doors but back doors stay locked i have to manually unlock them.. any ideas why this is