PDA

View Full Version : Ticking / clicking noise N/S/R

_tones
10-04-2014, 12:01 PM
My car yesterday evening, randomly while driving, started to make a ticking noise from the N/S/R wheel. It's the same noise a bicycle would make if someone put some cardboard between the spokes and turned the wheel. The frequency of the noise increases with speed. I lifted the car on a jack and had a look and couldn't see anything obvious such a loose thread on a tyre (I'm no mechanic past changing the tyre / topping up liquids on a car). I will take the car into a garage over the weekend if possible but really busy at the moment. The car otherwise seems to drive OK (it does need tracking but otherwise no real issues when driving)

Any ideas as to what this noise could be?

Ta

Sam
10-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Failing wheel bearings make a howling sound which increases with speed.

Or it could simply be a stone stuck in the tyre tread but that wouldn't sound anything like the noise made by a playing card in bicycle spokes.

_tones
10-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Failing wheel bearings make a howling sound which increases with speed.

Or it could simply be a stone stuck in the tyre tread but that wouldn't sound anything like the noise made by a playing card in bicycle spokes.

It's not the sound a wheel bearing makes as I've had that on a previous car and know the howling sound you mean, which increases with speed. I also had the wheel bearings checked previously during service and they were ok.

When i lifted the car up, I rotated the wheel and it moves freely (another sign wheel bearing is gone if it does not move freely). Also checked for stones and Tyre wear and both were good.

The playing card in bicycle spoke is exactly the sound the car makes... :(. There are so many pot holes / poor road surfaces on my way to work, I'm not sure sure if that finally had an affect on the car.

Sam
10-04-2014, 01:51 PM
The only things left would be the axle and driveshaft and both rotate in relation to engine/wheel speed.

If both appear to be in good shape without anything wrapped around - plastic bag, small rodent, etc - them then it's more than likely a CV, a UJ or a boot that's worn.

_tones
10-04-2014, 02:34 PM
The only things left would be the axle and driveshaft and both rotate in relation to engine/wheel speed.

If both appear to be in good shape without anything wrapped around - plastic bag, small rodent, etc - them then it's more than likely a CV, a UJ or a boot that's worn.

I couldn't really comment on the axle and drive shaft as not sure where these parts sit but couldn't see anything around the wheel (I didn't actually take the wheel off). Unless it's recently happened, there were no issues reported when I had a major service done which included full inspection (back in October). MOT didn't really raise anything either back in February.

From researching around, people have mentioned CV joint but not sure if my car has a CV boot (2010 1.8 TFSI saloon).

I'm hoping it's not an expensive fix anyway but I won't know until I get it checked out.

Sam
10-04-2014, 02:53 PM
Assuming your A4 is FWD then you'll have a drive axle rather than a drive shaft. It's also called a half shaft, transaxle and who knows what else.

The wheel connects to the hub which in turn connects, via the CV joint (which is covered with a CV boot to stop dirt getting in), to the axle which connects to the gearbox.

You'd be able to spot anything wrapped around the axles just be sliding under the car and having a look - it's fairly open and easy to get to - you should be able to visually piece the parts together too.

If you had a Quattro you'd have another central shaft to take the drive to the rear axle(s).

As for the cost, it's an Audi so expect repairs to be commensurate with the car's initial value. If it's 'just' a split CV boot then it won't be too painful at all.

Good luck!

_tones
10-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Assuming your A4 is FWD then you'll have a drive axle rather than a drive shaft. It's also called a half shaft, transaxle and who knows what else.

The wheel connects to the hub which in turn connects, via the CV joint (which is covered with a CV boot to stop dirt getting in), to the axle which connects to the gearbox.

You'd be able to spot anything wrapped around the axles just be sliding under the car and having a look - it's fairly open and easy to get to - you should be able to visually piece the parts together too.

If you had a Quattro you'd have another central shaft to take the drive to the rear axle(s).

As for the cost, it's an Audi so expect repairs to be commensurate with the car's initial value. If it's 'just' a split CV boot then it won't be too painful at all.

Good luck!

Cheers for this. I did have a look with the jack up but couldn't spot anything obvious. It is just a FWD. I've had a split CV boot on another car and it wasn't too painful to replace by a mechanic but my previous car apparently didn't have a CV boot (Mercedes RWD). I will try and report back when I've had a chance to visit a garage.

magt1000
12-04-2014, 03:06 PM
I had a wheel bearing fail last week (o/s/f). It started as a clicking noise as you describe and then turned to a drone after about 100 miles. I convinced myself it wasn't the wheel bearing to start with, but now its been changed and the noise has gone. Cannot complain though - 155k on the clock and this is the first bearing that's failed.

_tones
12-04-2014, 05:58 PM
I took it to a garage yesterday for a checkup and they couldn't see anything. Bearings are fine and so are the mechanics on the wheel. Tyre is fine too. I've been told it could be two pieces of plastic rubbing together but I will need to pay a visit to the dealer when I get time to find out for sure.

goader
13-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Certainly soounds as though it is a CV joint. Try driving your car on a hard steering lock, this usually makes a load clicking noise indicating a worn CV joint. Try it on full lock in both directions.

_tones
13-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the the replies. I finally got to the bottom of the issue (by chance).

I assumed all along the issue was with the N/S/R wheel. It turns out I was misinformed (or my hearing was and everyone else's who drove with me). I noticed the air was low (as in 14PSI when checking) this morning on the N/S/F tyre. Filled up the air and took it to a tyre repair shop. Turns out there was a large screw in the tyre. Got the puncture repaired and now no noise. The noise would have started when the nail hit the tyre and caused a slow puncture.

The moral of the above is, if you hear a sound from one side of the car, then check all around that side (and the other side!!!).

Sam
14-04-2014, 08:32 AM
Glad you got to the bottom of it.

I have to admit when I read the thread I read NSR as NSF which is why I suggested axles and drive shafts.

Had I read properly..... :o

_tones
14-04-2014, 10:04 AM
Glad you got to the bottom of it.

I have to admit when I read the thread I read NSR as NSF which is why I suggested axles and drive shafts.

Had I read properly..... :o

Thanks. I too am glad it's sorted. TBH, with my knowledge of mechanics, I wouldn't have known you were talking about the front. The mechanic did say the CV boot is not at the wheel at the back. No major damage in the end. If only I checked the front Tyre earlier on in the week to save on anxiety!