PDA

View Full Version : Steering Rack Leaking

kop77audi
08-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Hi all,

I have a 2006 Audi A4 1.9tdi S-Line and it seems to have blown a seal in the steering rack,

its pouring oil out the passenger/near side of the rack onto the brake disc etc,

I got a quote from a company to repair it but the whole rack will have to come out and sent to them for an overhaul and they will have it for 2-3 days,

I'm wondering though if the seals could be replaced with the rack still the car,

I deal with a seal company through work who supply us with seals for cars/agri/construction industry,

or any other ideas would be appreciated!

thanks,
Rob.

kop77audi
08-04-2014, 07:47 PM
Forgot to mention the oil in the reservoir was yellow and the oil I got in my local auto factors is green mineral hydraulic oil..

zollaf
08-04-2014, 10:10 PM
the yellow oil, whatever that is, is probably the reason your rack is leaking. i would just buy a new one and do a complete flush out of the system first. someone has used the wrong stuff and now its cost a new rack. put a new seal in and you can bet the others will soon go. you could however strip and rebuild it yourself changing all the seals. if you suss out which is the return pipe to the resevoir and remove it, then extend it into a bucket and plug the hole left in the res, now start the car and keep the res topped up, the oil will dump itself into the bucket, thus completing a change of the fluid for you.

pule333
09-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Hi all,

I have a 2006 Audi A4 1.9tdi S-Line and it seems to have blown a seal in the steering rack,

its pouring oil out the passenger/near side of the rack onto the brake disc etc,

I got a quote from a company to repair it but the whole rack will have to come out and sent to them for an overhaul and they will have it for 2-3 days,

I'm wondering though if the seals could be replaced with the rack still the car,

I deal with a seal company through work who supply us with seals for cars/agri/construction industry,

or any other ideas would be appreciated!

thanks,
Rob.

I have a similar problem. What was the price you got quoted?

kop77audi
09-04-2014, 11:19 AM
I have a similar problem. What was the price you got quoted?

I'm from Dublin, I got quoted 250 euro for a full refurb.

kop77audi
10-04-2014, 06:41 PM
My mechanic got the rack out and I had a very quick look at it before it was sent away.....

I pulled the rubber booth form the end of the rack that's leaking and the piston is pitted with rust, as I pushed the piston in and out some dirty oil & water came out,

I know this is a question for the company who are going to refurb my rack but with the piston all pitted like that am I probably looking at having to replace the entire rack?

zollaf
10-04-2014, 06:43 PM
yes, and flush the system and probably fit a new pump as well, save destroying the new rack really quickly.

pule333
13-04-2014, 10:17 AM
I had a lucky escape!!! Both of my pipes connecting to from cooler were leaking. Just had to replace them. Easy fix:)

kop77audi
15-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Hi again,

just got the car back from the garage but the p/s fluid is way over the max level,

should I dip it when the car is idling or turned off?

thanks,

pule333
16-04-2014, 12:01 AM
Hi again,

just got the car back from the garage but the p/s fluid is way over the max level,

should I dip it when the car is idling or turned off?

thanks,

It should be done on a switched off engine.