PDA

View Full Version : Security Question

Redcar01
06-04-2014, 09:50 PM
Hi All

I will be going on holiday soon and my car ( A4 Avant MY12 2.0 TDi Tech pack) will be sat on the drive for 2 weeks, i was thinking how safe it will be, I live on a nice estate bit know is not people near me that will steal it. Any ideason how to secure it ?

How good is the imoboliser ?

Thanks Shaun

M1tchy
06-04-2014, 09:56 PM
It will be fine, a modern car cannot be started without the keys. Either take both Keys with you or put them in a safe in your house.

If you have an old iPhone or iPad put it in your car and activate find my friends then you can track your car too for piece of mind. I've got an old iPhone in mine hidden away with constant power so if it did get stolen, I can track it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

theskyfox
07-04-2014, 11:24 AM
As above...keep the keys safe and the car should be safe. If you really are worried, you also can't beat an old-fashioned steering wheel lock...they are cheap, easy to install/remove and make the car 10x harder to steal.

-Andrew

zollaf
07-04-2014, 11:30 AM
try to park in a tight space up against your house if you can and put the steering on full lock, makes it harder to drag it out. also ask a neighbour to use your drive to make it look occupied and then they will nick their car rather than yours.

Sam
07-04-2014, 11:54 AM
As said above, it cannot be driven without the keys. Unfortunately that means any would-be thief is going to be turning your house over looking for said keys.

I'll go on holiday for you while you stay and look after your car if you want?

Guest 2
07-04-2014, 07:09 PM
As said above, it cannot be driven without the keys.

Unfortunately after the spate of BMW's being stolen via keys programmed via the OBD port, Audi's aren't that safe either!

Keyless entry - Gone in 90 seconds (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?150305-Keyless-entry-Gone-in-90-seconds)

boom1
07-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Unfortunately after the spate of BMW's being stolen via keys programmed via the OBD port, Audi's aren't that safe either!

Keyless entry - Gone in 90 seconds (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?150305-Keyless-entry-Gone-in-90-seconds)

Not just keyless entry. An old colleague had his A4 nicked off his drive, driver window smashed and new key programmed via OBD port (West Midlands). Coppers told him it was getting worryingly common

theskyfox
07-04-2014, 09:50 PM
Cough cough. *steering wheel lock* cough.

Johnb80
08-04-2014, 05:49 AM
Cough cough. *steering wheel lock* cough.

Decent bolt croppers would take less than a minute to chop the wheel, no problem.

J

Dieseldoos
08-04-2014, 06:57 AM
This is why I have had relocated my obd port to another position.

I know that pros could then climb in, feel around under the trim, find the cable and it trace it back to the port, but does mean they cant just smash reach in and done.

theskyfox
08-04-2014, 08:27 AM
lol. In all seriousness, its all down to how much risk you are personally willing to accept. I work in the Information Security industry, and the truth is there is no such thing as "100% security". Theives are going to be looking for a quick and easy steal. Any deterrent, visual or otherwise that makes this process take more than a few minutes is going to make your car much less appealing. Yes you may need bolt cutters to get through a steering wheel lock, but thats a huge additional tool that a would be theif now has to take with them on top of any ODBII equipment.

How far do you really want to go? If you are really paranoid, I suppose you could even wheelclamp you car. But then I'm guessing by internet logic, the theif is going to turn up with 1) an ODBII key reprogrammer, 2)boltcutters to take your steering wheel lock off and 3) an angle grinder to take the wheelclamp off. Jeez it'd be easier for them to just turn up with a low-loader and take the car away to work on in slow time. Better chain the car to the ground too!

-Andrew