PDA

View Full Version : Please Help 3.0 TDi, Injectors failed, RAC warranty claim

bennwood85
06-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Hi guys,

In short, car's been in for a service at Kim Collins QST, asked them to inspect the plumes of smoke that the exhaust has been emitting more and more over the last two months, injectors sent off, inspected and all failed. Also have RAC Warranty which I am attempting to claim on.

2005 3.0 Tdi, BKN (IIRC)
93k on clock
Full audi service history

Need to confirm that;

a) Injectors are definitely not an item which appears on the service schedule, and that they are meant to be a part for life.
b) That they are likely to cause an MOT failure for the smoke test (Septembers MOT was 1.33 1/m mean value - 3.0 being the limit)
c) That the above clearly indicates mechanical failure rather than "general wear and tear"
d) Is carbon build up likely to be a factor?

In short, all did fail when tested. RAC (being a typical warranty company) initially attributed it to car age, mileage and wear and tear (noting serviceable items are never covered by warranty) yet offered still offered to contribute towards two injectors.

Pointed out to them, that it's a non serviceable item, that the problem came on suddenly, etc etc, and as if like magic, they're now sending an "engineer" to the company that has tested the injectors (Automarine, Portslade in Sussex). Only indication i have is that they will look for carbon build up to put it down to general w&t. Offering to pay anything IMO is confirmation of failure of the items, otherwise you'd offer nothing, surely.

Injectors were very clean when removed apparently.

Anyone has similar experiences (not just with injectors failing) but failing quickly and any warranty (Audi or aftermarket) experience? Also, thoughts on any loopholes which RAC might try to exploit to not pay out? If needed i'll get a second opinion to confirm the fault and get them to fund our the £1,800 repair bill

cheers

bennwood85
10-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Bump

Update - nozzles at fault, dripping at idle, hence smoke.

RAC not moving. Assessor failed to assess the fault (which can only be seen visually) as he only took photos of the injectors. RAC also informed me that they have attributed the cost of one injector to be £180... They're of course a lot more than this, £280 and that it was an offer of "goodwill" now.

So the assessor didn't assess the problem as mechanical or deteriorated etc and the fact the rac still made some offer leave me wondering whether they're just trying to wriggle out of this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Johnb80
10-04-2014, 08:01 PM
I have been in a similar position with Renault a good few years ago, I ended up in the small claims court and winning. You need to prove it's not general wear and tear etc and that's done simply by a poll on here for example, how many owners on here have got higher mileage with no injector issues? email Audi and ask what the typical life of an injector is. Look at the service schedules, if it was expected to fail around now surely, like a cambelt it would have an xx years or yy miles etc. Armed with that info go to court and sue them for the repair costs, theyre always happy to take your money, never so happy to honour their responsibilities.

J

a8 tech
11-04-2014, 09:29 AM
these are piezo injectors so you need to prove mechanical wear and carbon deposits are normal hence they have rejected your claim and described it as wear and tear over the life of the vehicle

if you have fault codes showing defective they will replace them but without this a bench test will not be sufficient with extended warranty claims

suggest emissions test results required to prove excessive nox

there not daft mate thats how they make there coin and your steps so far are easily rejected by them

what you need is a detailed measured value snap shot showing injection rate on/off time etc against emissions values to show true values as well as a bench test

send a sample of oil for analysis % fuel present in oil etc

present the evidence like this and you stand a chance but at the min its a poor report and your making it easy for rejection (create a report that reduces there case give evidence seek second opinion use recognised workshops)

also there may be a technical bulletin for this very issue so seek advice from audi as another route