PDA

View Full Version : Selling my TT, buyer wants to pay deposit, take car, before V5 comes back

Hunnipot
06-04-2014, 02:06 PM
I have a buyer for my TT.

He wants to sign a disclaimer (who's gonna mock this up) to say he takes full responsibility for the vehicle whilst my V5 is at the DVLA (I am transferring my plates V317 to another car).
He wants to pay a deposit for it, and pay for the remainder when the paperwork is exchanged.

He wants to take it next weekend after I have had it serviced and MOT'd this Wednesday.

I am not a solicitor...how does a piece of paper hold up in a court of law saying the above?
I am reluctant to sell it this way, and am not in a rush whatsoever.

Does everyone agree that 1. full payment is required to take the car regardless of paperwork? 2. All I need to give him is something like what the AA have on their website (AA car buyers sellers contract). Car buyer's contract | AA (http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg_buyerscontract.html)

Forgive me I am such a newb at this...

And FYI, I didn't transfer my plates until I took delivery of my new car...didn't occur to me to put it on retention, was unsure of the fees involved and didn't want to give DVLA more money than I needed to.

zollaf
06-04-2014, 02:08 PM
get a new number plate on the tt, and the v5, then when someone buys it they take the section of the v5 for a new owner, pay in full in cleared funds and go on their way happily.

Hunnipot
06-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Yes that is what I want to do.
This buyer is very persistent. He is very eager to take it next weekend.
The paperwork is going to take an age.
Bring back local DVLA offices!!!

HAWKS
06-04-2014, 02:15 PM
This sounds dodgy to me.If he pays you a deposit and drives off in it,you will never see the car or the money again.
If you ars transfering the number plates to the A3,does the TT have any legal plates on it yet....
Wait,get new plates on the TT +V5 an contact buyer to say its ready for them.
Any car sold,none dealers are sold as seen.
They seem to be in a rush to get this car from you.
Be careful..

Hunnipot
06-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Think the fella is genuinely eager to take the car, knowing the DVLA can take a while processing the forms.
I will call him back and it will be under my terms. Thank you ever so much for your replies.
Will try my best not to drive it ;)

Sam
07-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Visit a DVLA office and get it done in person?

Hunnipot
07-04-2014, 03:05 PM
Our local DVLA office closed a year or two ago, so presumed they were all closed up and down the country?!?

Guest 2
07-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Don't give him possession of the car until you've received full funds, sounds incredibly dodgy.

At least you still have some local offices, ours are closing and everything is moving to Swansea!

Sam
07-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Our local DVLA office closed a year or two ago, so presumed they were all closed up and down the country?!?

I knew that(!)

You passed the test, congratulation <cough>

NHN
08-04-2014, 01:43 PM
As above, never give the car until full cleared funds are in hand (checked for genuine)/bank, then they can do *** they like & so can you, as long as its not a draft or cheque, then I see no issues at all.

JimC64
08-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Cleared funds totally before letting go of the vehicle.

maurajames
08-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Do not let car out of your site until you have full payment. There will always be another buyer

Hunnipot
08-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Don't worry all. Definitely not letting go of it without full payment etc. Many thanks all x