PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Polo starts then dies immediately

harrassed dad
15-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Sorry if this has been posted before but i am desperate for my daughter. Her boyfriend comes back from Afghanistan on Thursday and the Polo has packed up. It just died. Now it starts immediately and then dies immediately. I have checked the fuel pump is working and there is plenty of fuel circulating, there is a good spark. Put fuel in so it isnt something silly like that. I have had the injector out and seems okay. Anyone got any ideas? Its a 1995 Polo 1.3 Petrol

Feels like it is electrical - thanks

(I am an extremely harrassed father of two with an eldest daughter giving me maximum stress cos HER CAR WONT WORK - I am sure there are others out there the same!!)

ini
15-09-2007, 11:23 AM
The symptoms sound like an immobilser problem. (not sure what system a 95 Polo has)

Do you have another key you can try?

harrassed dad
15-09-2007, 11:27 AM
I dont think its immobiliser as I dont think it has one? I will check. If anyone knows where I check I would be greatful

Tony

ini
15-09-2007, 11:40 AM
If it is has a VW immobiliser, there should be a little 'key' symbol in the instruments that briefly lights up when you turn the key.

If the symbol does not go out or comes back on, it is an immobiliser problem. Generally either the chip in the key is defective, or the reader coil (ariel) around the ignition barrel is loose.

If it is a petrol, it could also be distributor/cap, coil, HT lead, fuel pump, ignition amp, or water in fuel.

harrassed dad
15-09-2007, 11:45 AM
If it is has a VW immobiliser, there should be a little 'key' symbol in the instruments that briefly lights up when you turn the key.

If the symbol does not go out or comes back on, it is an immobiliser problem. Generally either the chip in the key is defective, or the reader coil (ariel) around the ignition barrel is loose.

If it is a petrol, it could also be distributor/cap, coil, HT lead, fuel pump, ignition amp, or water in fuel.

Put fresh fuel in, checked fuel pump (My trousers are testimony that it works as they were soaked!) Will check dizzy cap and leads but the fact that it fires immediately and then dies immediately makes me think it is not just obvious things.

Thanks for everyones help so far

harrassed dad
16-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Have checked the dizzy and rotor arm. All connections. Still no joy. There is no immobiliser. The only thing I am not sure about is the speedo reads either 1002 when it is first turned on or IN02 not sure if the lcd is damged and it should be 1002 or that is a message.

Helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Please.

sparkplug01
04-01-2008, 12:00 AM
I believe that the code is IN02 & is letting you know it is ready for service if same as golf speedo it can be got rid of I think by pressing the clock & speedo trip buttons in a paticuar sequence will have to try to find this weekend as it is stored away somewhere