PDA

View Full Version : Digital Speedo km/h

alexh
15-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Hello,

I have recently bought a lovely new passat and after a day of owning it one thing I raised with the dealer is that the digital speedo is in km/h rather than the UK's mph. The dealer said this unfortunatly couldn't be changed.
A friend of mine who is really into his cars completely disagreed with this and said it can be changed with vagcom.

Has anyone else had a km/h dash which they have had the garage change to mph?

Alex

Quatrelle
15-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Presumbly you mean the computer read-outs and not the dial !?

If so this is easily changed by going into the menu - have a look at the driver's handbook first.

mluton
15-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Yes it can be changed via a VAG COM IIRC, depending on your car.

DSGboy
15-09-2007, 12:41 PM
The handbook seems to mention something about not being able to do this in countries where by law the speedometer must show both km/h and mph. Does this apply to the UK?

alexh
15-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Presumbly you mean the computer read-outs and not the dial !?

You presume correctly that when I said digital speedo, I was referring to the digital speedo rather than the analogue/dial based speedo. Thanks for clearing that up for everyone, I'm sure we all appreciate your additional punctuation and text formatting to ensure your point was clear. You may also wish to look up the correct spelling of presumably too.
Sorry if my question seemed obvious to you however as I said earlier I have recently bought the car and haven't read the manual cover to cover yet.

Quatrelle
15-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Oh dear - only trying to be helpful, and as a result my reply was done in haste. At least I took the trouble to answer. Perhaps if you'd taken the trouble to have a look in the driver's handbook (yes, I appreciate that it's about 400 pages, but there is an index) you wouldn't have had to take offence when none was intended. I have no wish to cross swords with anyone on here (have a look at my other posts); however, I would like to suggest you try to avoid tautology when having a rant - while I look up the spelling of prsumbly.

Best wishes
John

alexh
15-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Suggestion noted.
I am currently waiting for a new replacement manual and haven't been able to look it up, would it be possible to pop in an instruction or two on how one goes about changing this.

Quatrelle
15-09-2007, 04:05 PM
To go back to the beginning: the reason for my ...!?...in my first post was that I was unaware that it was possible to get a speedo reading in digital form, and was hoping that you would be able to lead me (!) to find this, prior to me perhaps telling you how to change it, since my analogue speedo is, of necessity, in kph.

Bearing in mind the above, are we talking at cross-purposes here? I can, and do, change my mileometer (trip etc.) display between km and miles.

However, with ign. on, if you press the top left of the four buttons on the right of the steering wheel, you will get a display (you're looking for 'MFD') with the options available (how many depends on trim level). You can then use the 'up' and 'down' arrows (r.h. side) to select, and 'OK' to either enter or set, your selection. There are also two trip 'memories' which you may stumble across at the same time (pressing the 'OK' button for two seconds usually works).

This is, of necessity, a brief description of something that is quite comprehensive, but hopefully should get you into it.

If I've missed something (quite possible), I'm sure someone else will fill the gaps

Depending on trim level, on some models it is possible to access the menu through the wiper stalk.

Let's hope you don't have to wait too long for your dealer to supply you with a new manual, especially as VW are at pains to urge you to read it. Can't he lend you one from a secondhand car?

carl s
17-09-2007, 09:51 AM
I've asked on the forum before about changing this display and I believe the concensus was that in the UK it was not changeable.

sathound
17-09-2007, 10:00 AM
You can change the trip distance to either Km or Miles but the digital speed reading above it is fixed in Km/h because the main speedo only shows MPH and there is a legal EU requirement to display Km/h

Quatrelle
17-09-2007, 11:37 AM
You can change the trip distance to either Km or Miles but the digital speed reading above it is fixed in Km/h because the main speedo only shows MPH and there is a legal EU requirement to display Km/hWhich may explain why I've been leading the original poster on this thread up the garden path.http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/../images/smilies/redface.gifhttp://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/../images/smilies/redface.gif http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/../images/icons/icon11.gifhttp://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/../images/icons/icon11.gif I've got a km/h analogue speedo, I've never seen a digital speedo (in either km/h or mph) on my display, so presumably it's not an EU legal requirement to display it over here.

I've managed to get an English handbook but can see no mention of it there. Is it part of the normal display, along with time, temp. etc on UK cars?

sathound
17-09-2007, 12:10 PM
The Km/h display is only shown when the car is moving. When stopped the display changes back to Total mileage so you have Miles and Trip Miles displayed in red below each other in the bottom centre of the analogue speedo and when moving you have Km/h above Trip miles.

Quatrelle
17-09-2007, 03:59 PM
The Km/h display is only shown when the car is moving. When stopped the display changes back to Total mileage so you have Miles and Trip Miles displayed in red below each other in the bottom centre of the analogue speedo and when moving you have Km/h above Trip miles.Thanks for that. I've just found it on p.11 of section 3.1 of the handbook, including a 'legal' note. The French handbook has the same note.

Shows how hard I looked the first time! :o

alexh
21-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks all.

Quatrelle
21-09-2007, 08:57 PM
The Km/h display is only shown when the car is moving. When stopped the display changes back to Total mileage so you have Miles and Trip Miles displayed in red below each other in the bottom centre of the analogue speedo and when moving you have Km/h above Trip miles.Mine (km/h analogue) will only give me mph in digital :(

shropslad
07-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Well I for one think its great to have the normal dial MPH speedo & the KPH red digital speedo,, driving in europe it is invaluable coping with speed limits etc,, you can see at a glance what KPH you are doing.Saves trying to convert.