PDA

View Full Version : thinking of an A3

Westonpark
02-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Evening all,

I need to get a long distant runner for my commute. Thought of the 3 series but really liking the new A3.

I think it would be the s line sportback. Any extras to stay away from or must haves, what's a good discount to be aiming for? Any other views on the A3 generally?

Cheers

Weston

micheal balbrig
02-04-2014, 08:00 PM
A3 Is as near to perfect as you can get i.m.o.

Kar Krazy
02-04-2014, 09:12 PM
Mine's the A3 Sportback in the previous shape, but I had a new shape 1.4 as a courtesy car for a couple of days. Both are great to drive. I even got on OK with the Stop/Start and the electric handbrake in the new one. I love my A3.

I went from a Mondeo Titanium X 2.2 TDCi to my 2.0 TFSi S Line A3. The Mondy was a fabulous long-distance cruiser, and the most noticeable difference is that the combination of shorter wheelbase and harder suspension in the A3 make it less comfortable on our rutted roads. I chose the A3 because I don't do many miles now, so I don't need a big car.

With your high mileage, I would advise you to get a bigger car with a longer wheelbase, which will make a big difference to comfort on long journeys. Also, avoid the extra-low S-Line suspension or it will rattle your brain over every pot-hole.

cs2009
03-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Well my A3 (1.4TFSI 8V SE Sportback) has been a big disappointment, and I'm trading it in for a Golf next month.

The build quality, engine and handling are all very good, but the ride is poor (even though it is an SE), and the tyre noise is terrible. The tyre noise seems to be a common issue with the A3, and although different tyres make a difference, there is an underlying problem which isn't present with the Golf.

I'm getting a Golf GT, which despite being a 'sporty' model, is much quieter and more comfortable than my A3.

cowcatcher
03-04-2014, 08:21 PM
I've got an sline sportback TDI, which is only 2 weeks old. It's a great car, but cs2009 is right about road noise. On a high aggregate Tarmac road or a concrete section the noise is horrendous. It wouldn't stop me having one though, there are too many plus points to out way.
One thing that does bug me is the fact that there isn't a shuffle feature on the mmi (ipod connection), it starts from the beginning of the song library every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lee007
13-05-2014, 10:54 PM
Well my A3 (1.4TFSI 8V SE Sportback) has been a big disappointment, and I'm trading it in for a Golf next month.

The build quality, engine and handling are all very good, but the ride is poor (even though it is an SE), and the tyre noise is terrible. The tyre noise seems to be a common issue with the A3, and although different tyres make a difference, there is an underlying problem which isn't present with the Golf.

I'm getting a Golf GT, which despite being a 'sporty' model, is much quieter and more comfortable than my A3.
I have the golf gt and it to has its own problems. There is a common dull thud which comes from the rear suspension which vw still have no fix for. I agree it is still better than the A3 but not perfect. Mine also has a squeeky drivers window, a intermittent rattle on the passenger seat and the sat nav just shuts down at times. It is still a great car I have the 1.4gt act engine and can get over 50mpg and it is very quiet. Mine is going back to the dealer for the 2nd time next week to see if they can fix the issues listed above.