PDA

View Full Version : GloveBox Handle Snapped - Help!!!!

monkeygrinder
14-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Hi there,
The handle on my Mk3 Golf's glovebox has just come away in my hand. Boo!
Having had a look on Ebay, this seems to be a fairly common problem.

I would order some replacement bits, but I don't know what I'll need yet as I haven't opened it and had a proper look inside
:1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp:

Would someone suggest the best way of opening the glovebox, doing the least amount of damage? (Without the use of my broken handle ;))

Thanks in advance

Bleeno
25-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Hi there,
The handle on my Mk3 Golf's glovebox has just come away in my hand. Boo!
Having had a look on Ebay, this seems to be a fairly common problem.

I would order some replacement bits, but I don't know what I'll need yet as I haven't opened it and had a proper look inside
:1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp:

Would someone suggest the best way of opening the glovebox, doing the least amount of damage? (Without the use of my broken handle ;))

Thanks in advance

Make sure it's unlocked and then stick your key in the hole thats there and you'll feel the lever that used to be operated by the catch ..... just push the lever downwards. I've got the same problem but haven't got around to buying one yet.

Pernicitus
25-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Exact same thing happened to my golf. It freaked me out at first but the solution is very simple.

The handle is attached to a kind of half moon, semi circle which curves around inside and unlockes the latch. I opened this noprob with a coat hanger, its round part at the top is curved similar ( you may need to rebend it a little to get correct angle). It took a couple of tries to open it but it opened no probs!

Next with the glove box open, I used a philips screw driver to remove to the screws (4 I think) holding the cover inside the door. With these screws removed the front handle assembly comes out.

I went to local VW garrage and ordered a new handle assembly (the whole front pannel), Cost about 20-30 quid? While I was waiting for the new front panel to arrive, I refitted the rear pannel inside the glove box so I could close the door again (2 screws remain spare). I could open the door from the outside quite easly with the front pannel removed.

Next day I picked up the new front pannel. The trick now was to, first insert the key into the lock and break/bend the 4 plastic tabs holding the lock in place. With these tabs bent/broken, the lock slips out of the old front plate. Next insert the lock into the new front plate, it will click into place and bobs your uncle, you have a new front plate with your original lock in it.

You can now remove the key and remove the back plate on the glove box door, insert the front plate and then affix the back plate, tighten all screwes and good as new!

Hope this helps
Pernic! :beerchug: