PDA

View Full Version : New Car - Few Questions

grant413
22-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Recently decided to get rid of my Audi A6 (Misano Red :D ) and purchased a 2012 Audi A7 3.0 TDI 245 Quattro (Moonlight blue :(). Hopefully the colour will grown on me! But did not have much choice and all A7 colours are a bit boring.

Have noticed on a few pics that there is an ECO mode on the Audi Drive Select, I don't seem to have it on mine. Does my car need its software updated?
On newer cars the rear number plate lights are now led would these work? 2x ERROR FREE CANBUS XENON WHITE 3 SMD LED 39mm 239 272 C5W NUMBER PLATE BULB | eBay (http://goo.gl/oPn34k)
Anyone else think its stupid that you can open the tailgate with the key but not close it?

Thanks for any help at all!

Guest 2
22-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Eco mode is maybe only for cars with the less powerful 3.0 engine?

Audi do OEM LED number plate lights for the A7, I'll do a search for the part number. 4G0943021 for left hand side and 4G0943022 for right hand side.

If its electric its possible to enable the close with key, this needs something called VCDS though.

kite
22-03-2014, 10:47 PM
But you can close the tailgate with the key.
Check out the thread that has the coding changes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

kite
22-03-2014, 10:53 PM
VCDS Tricks for the A7 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=154321)
VCDS Tricks for the A7

Check this thread

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sauron
22-03-2014, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE=A6_Chris;889037]Eco mode is maybe only for cars with the less powerful 3.0 engine?

Chris

I think the Eco mode is actually associated with a model year vice the engine output; I think introduced on MY 13 cars?

Guest 2
22-03-2014, 11:30 PM
[QUOTE=A6_Chris;889037]Eco mode is maybe only for cars with the less powerful 3.0 engine?

Chris

I think the Eco mode is actually associated with a model year vice the engine output; I think introduced on MY 13 cars?

Not totally sure, was only guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sauron
23-03-2014, 09:57 AM
No problem and I'm sure someone else will correct me as to when the change happened. Regardless I'm not sure that it is something that can been done as an update if the car doesn't have it. That said, I've never tried it as I read that it just dulls the performance too much.

It sort of reminds me of when personal computers first started to become main stream and they had what must have been the most useless switch ever - the 'turbo' button so that you could, if you wanted to, run your computer at half speed. Now I know the theory was to cater for potential software issues but really did anyone ever really want to wait longer for an answer?

len marriott
23-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Eco mode was a model year 2013 addition. But your not missing anything in my opinion, Makes the car very sluggish as Sauron says.
As for the moonlight blue you'll become to love it !!!

@mark
24-03-2014, 01:49 PM
Anyone else think its stupid that you can open the tailgate with the key but not close it?

Thanks for any help at all!

You need to press AND HOLD the boot open button on the key and it will close

grant413
27-03-2014, 12:33 AM
You need to press AND HOLD the boot open button on the key and it will close

Tried that but doesn't work for me. Can just hear the boot release making a noise.

@mark
27-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Tried that but doesn't work for me. Can just hear the boot release making a noise.

I've just read the manual on this and it implies that this only works if you have the Advanced Key (or Convenience Key) option on the car

Press and hold the button on the remote control key (on vehicles with convenience key*) until the boot lid is closed
side. The boot lid will now close automatically.

Guest 2
27-03-2014, 09:09 AM
You can enable the remote close with the key via vcds also as per the vcds thread stickied in this section.

M1tchy
30-03-2014, 10:37 AM
The boot close needs coding via VCDS. Very quick and easy to do and probably my favorite thing I've done to mine. As for Eco mode, it was there on my A7 but not on the wife's A5, again I added it with VCDS. Although it does make things quite sluggish, it adds 2 mpg quite easily so worth is on long trips in my opinion. As for your number plate lights, I'd get a full kit and do your whole car. Search eBay for something like Audi A7 canbus kit. They are normally around £35 and make such a difference to the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk