PDA

View Full Version : Head light wash system

Herbie1213
22-03-2014, 07:59 AM
First post on here. So hello to all you A7 owners. I'm over the moon with my A7, performance and fuel economy are brilliant. I seem to have an issue with the head light wash system which is a standard fit to the A7. According to the hand book, page 46 if you hold the lever for more than 2 secs it activates the system again. On my car this does not happen the service centre says this feature is not fitted to my car which is contrary to what the hand book says. Can you give my some feed back if this is working on your car. Mine is a 2011 model.

big thank you to anyone who kindly responds to this post.

Guest 2
22-03-2014, 09:35 AM
Are the dipped headlights on when you're trying it? All UK spec A7s came with Xenon iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herbie1213
22-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Hi A_6 Chris it only works when the dipped head lights are on.

Guest 2
22-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Do you have fluid? Just ruling out the obvious;

Ignition on, or the car running
Lights in dipped mode on the switch (testing only in this case)
Pull the windscreen wash on, hold it for a few secs
Get someone to stand on front of the car
Get result from person on front of the car.

Herbie1213
22-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Cheers, yes done all of that. The ironic thing is that Audi say that this feature is not designed to work on my car. My last car which was an A6 allroad it worked perfectly. It's like pulling your teeth out, I guess it all works on your car.

Guest 2
22-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Check the fuses for it, fuse locations are noted in the handbook.

If it has Xenon or LED it will have washers.

Herbie1213
22-03-2014, 10:20 AM
It has washers and they work with first pull of lever. But if you hold the washer lever for more than two seconds the washers should work again which on my they are not. My question was to owners to confirm that this was the case thus enabling me to go back to audi to say there was a problem with my system.

Thanks for replies.

Guest 2
22-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Oh well your first post have me the impression that they weren't fitted at all.

They're set up to come on first pull then they'll come on again (while the car is on) on the 4th, 8th, 12th pull. They don't come on every pull.

Herbie1213
30-03-2014, 07:40 AM
I'm not sure how you can be confused by first post as I state "I seem to have a problem with the head light wash system". Audi are now looking into this as there does seem to be an issue with the A7 system.

M1tchy
30-03-2014, 10:30 AM
Now you mention it, I've only ever seen mine work first time I've used the washer jets on a journey. Not again until engine off, keys out and start up again. Glad in a way as it uses so much fluid but never thought of it as a fault

Herbie1213
30-03-2014, 03:55 PM
The only reason why I questioned it because it worked as the hand book describes on my A6 allroad.

Herbie1213
10-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Latest update it's now in the hands of Audi technical. Will update as soon as I get anything back.

M1tchy
10-04-2014, 01:19 PM
I look forward to seeing what they say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Herbie1213
28-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Well after months of discussion the the trail has gone cold. No one at Audi can give an answer to the question. I have given up trying to find out.

On a more serious note after 40k I have a transmission whine. It happens between 70 & 80 mph it can just be heard above the sound of the radio. We are unsure whether it is gearbox or differential. After 40 years as an M&E engineer it sounds like gearbox to me. The car is now with the dealers who are in discussion with Audi who are baffled as the stronic gearbox is supposedly very reliable. My 07 Allroad which had the gearbox fitted with a torque converter had no problems and when I sold it the car had covered 160k miles.

I should have some news by the end of the week.

The car is an Sline Quattro 2011.

shabazmo
31-07-2014, 10:41 PM
Herbie. I hope your gearbox is ok. On the subject of headlamp waasher, mine will activate every 5 screen washed. I dont seem to have the 2 sec rule in my handbook. What page is it on.

Herbie1213
31-07-2014, 11:21 PM
shabazmo, thanks gear box sorted, I started another thread under A7 gear box so all updates in there.
In the hand book I have, the information I am referring to is on page 46. For some unknown reason mine does not even repeat every 5 washes. I will try this loan A7 I have to see how that works.