PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt Change - 09 Reg A4 Avant

iBRUK
20-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Hi All,

I got a call from the AUDI garage today asking me to book an appointment to have the cambelt changed in my A4 Avant. The car reg is 09 and it has 37000 miles on the clock. They quoted me £610 to change it.

Is it really necessary to change the cambelt in a 5 years old A4? Mrs only use the car to drive to the shops.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

RichA4
20-03-2014, 03:06 AM
From what I remember with my 2008 A4 , the change is based on miles or 5 years whichever comes first :confused:

zollaf
20-03-2014, 09:51 AM
don't bother changing it if you don't want to and just run it until it snaps. then get the head removed and rebuilt and all put back together, then reflect on the £2k bill and think how much cheaper it would have been just to replace the belt.
incidentally, short journeys with lots of engine starting are the worst for the belt as starting is when it has the most strain on it.
your car, your call, your money.

Guest 2
20-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Get it changed, I stick to 4 years/60k (I sound like a broken record!) and haven't had any problems.

Your car is applicable to the fixed price servicing scheme - Fixed price services < Servicing and MOT < Owners Area < Audi (http://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-maintenance-mot/fixed-price-services.html)

113brucey
20-03-2014, 10:01 PM
got mines done local indie for £325.00 incl vat and labour cambelt kit water pump. coolant using oe parts fron audi ??????trade price to buy parts is £164.00 +surcharge on old water pump so shop around audi ays 72000miles or 5 years ?mines will be 5 years on 31 march and oy done 27000miles ????bettersafe than sorry I WOULD GET IT DONE ???

Pork
21-03-2014, 01:34 AM
When I first rang Audi to have mine changed a couple of months ago they quoted about the same - it wasn't till I phoned back to cancel after getting a cheaper quote from a (very reputable) Indy that they dropped to £429. I thought at the time that was good of them...... until I found out about their fixed price jobs on 3 year and older models. Seems they won't quote their own fixed prices unless it's challenged

iBRUK
22-03-2014, 08:47 AM
Get it changed, I stick to 4 years/60k (I sound like a broken record!) and haven't had any problems.

Your car is applicable to the fixed price servicing scheme - Fixed price services < Servicing and MOT < Owners Area < Audi (http://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-maintenance-mot/fixed-price-services.html)

Thanks for all replies. I will book it and used the fixed price service.

a4inver
23-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Will the fixed price belt change at £429, include the water pump change. I suspect not.

iBRUK
24-03-2014, 12:16 AM
Will the fixed price belt change at £429, include the water pump change. I suspect not.

There is no mention of water pump in the Audi website. Should it be changed as well? Can anyone recommend a good garage in Bromley? Thanks.

Embisix
24-03-2014, 11:02 AM

Nope. That'll be a cheeky upsell. I believe they charge an extra £60.00 or so for the pump.

theskyfox
24-03-2014, 12:18 PM
When I first rang Audi to have mine changed a couple of months ago they quoted about the same - it wasn't till I phoned back to cancel after getting a cheaper quote from a (very reputable) Indy that they dropped to £429. I thought at the time that was good of them...... until I found out about their fixed price jobs on 3 year and older models. Seems they won't quote their own fixed prices unless it's challenged

Yep, I've found this before too. Example that comes to mind was the offer they did a while back with the Free MOT. They didn't even mention it in the showroom. If you asked about it they would only honour it if you took a copy of the Free MOT printout from the audi.co.uk website. Always worth checking the website first to make sure you don't pay more than you have to!

-Andrew

cma
26-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Just had a letter from Audi telling me my cam belt is due too on my 60k (143)tdi. Is it worth getting the water pump done at the same time? Are they a known issue?

Also as I will be towing a fair amount I was wondering about a clutch change at the same time. Anyone know if they do a deal as they will already have the front of the car stripped down for the belt? Or are Audi clutches pretty heavy duty and I shouldn't be concerned?

zollaf
26-03-2014, 12:47 PM
the pump may last until the next belt change, may not. if it fails, you need a new belt at the same time, so do you get it done noew or not, your call. i would spend the money on the pump though, rather than the clutch. 60k is nothing. change it when it needs it, and the dmf. a failing clutch won't destroy the engine like a failed water pump.

theskyfox
26-03-2014, 01:58 PM
the pump may last until the next belt change, may not. if it fails, you need a new belt at the same time, so do you get it done noew or not, your call. i would spend the money on the pump though, rather than the clutch. 60k is nothing. change it when it needs it, and the dmf. a failing clutch won't destroy the engine like a failed water pump.

+1. Do the water pump too. Leave the clutch unless its slipping.

-Andrew

Pork
26-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Not sure Audi would do it without changing the water pump.

The £429 includes water pump and new pulleys AFAIK

And as for the clutch, I agree with the others.
I got to 170K on the original clutch with no signs of slip on my old B7 170, admittedly with no caravan though!

b206
26-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Not sure Audi would do it without changing the water pump.

The £429 includes water pump and new pulleys AFAIK

And as for the clutch, I agree with the others.
I got to 170K on the original clutch with no signs of slip on my old B7 170, admittedly with no caravan though!

I had the cambelt changed on my A3 (fixed price) water pump not included. Audi would prefer not to change - extra £'s in their pocket when it goes pop further down the line!

magt1000
29-03-2014, 11:13 AM
153k now on the clock - I had a major service and my second cam belt change done last week.

The work was done at Bury St Edmunds Audi and they advised me that they do not change the water pump unless there is any evidence of a leak / corrosion (no such evidence found). If it had been changed it would have been an additional cost on top of the £439 fixed price charge for the cam belt.

No problems were identified during the service - not bad for a car running up to this mileage. Lets see if the old girl can get to 200k without any major hiccups!

Mike McKinstry
30-03-2014, 10:15 AM
I would use a reputable independent-have always changed all VW/audi diesels at 4 yrs (aprox40K)Only had 1 change at dealership on a fixed price-they phoned to say it would cost more due to a bolt being hard to remove-funny enough 2 weeks after job was done the same bolt(assume changed)sheared off and all aux belts tore off,loss of p/s ,alternator etc dealership admitted no liability.Would definitely change but
shop around and get recommendations.

Mike McKinstry
30-03-2014, 10:16 AM
I have had dealer do waterpump-absolutely no point in changing belt without changing a £35 pump.If this fails which they do you need to pay to have belt done all over again.I always do-piece of mind.