PDA

View Full Version : Halogen taillight question

gdallas
19-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Trying to understand why the depo led lights bring on a dimly lit fog light when normal dipped lights are on only and investigate if there is an easy fix to this annoying issue. I'm struggling to understand the suggested reason being LHD issue since the lights are symmetrical. But I remain open minded. Anyway, see attached image if my old halogen. Inside cluster. It has 3 bulbs, one being reverse, the other two presumably being dipped and fog. What I'm unsure of, and perhaps someone with these lights can confirm does the fog come on with the halogens too? Or is the unique to depo leds?

Thanks

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/20/2epa2amu.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Zenerdiode
19-03-2014, 09:44 PM
You have to re-code the Central Electrics (09) module.

The lamps are all single filament 21W; including the brake lamps. When just the sidelights are on, the Cent. Elec. module effectively reduces the voltage over the lamp (I say effectively, because it really uses PWM multiplexing) so the lamp consumes the equivalent of 5W and is as dim as a normal tail-light. When you brake or put the fogs on, the bulb gets its full voltage and therefore glows full brightness.

This is why your fog is glowing dimly; the Cent. Elec. thinks it's still a 21W bulb! :)

gdallas
19-03-2014, 09:54 PM
It is a 21w bulb in the depo led cluster tho. Well definitely halogen lol. Do u have details on how to recode mate?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk