PDA

View Full Version : Unicorn Display

Zenerdiode
19-03-2014, 01:33 AM
This flashed up once and I've (until now) never been able to see it again. In fact, I literally thought I'd dreamed it:

We all know the frustration of waiting for the MMI display when topping up - forcing people to buy a dipstick etc - but to see this in the dash you have the bonnet open and switch the ignition on. In a couple of seconds (rather than minutes) the oil level is displayed for about five seconds. Yes you've got to do an ignition cycle to display it again, but now (to me) this is no more inconvenient than dipping the dipstick after each glug. :D

Guest 2
19-03-2014, 06:43 AM
Did you have your bonnet open before switching the ignition on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zenerdiode
19-03-2014, 08:58 AM
Yep! :)

Dieseldoos
19-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Never knew that! Will give this a try later.

b206
19-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Just tried it - didn't work for me.
I have an auto so the display says 'foot on brake before selecting gear' or something like that.

I have seen that oil reader flash up before though whilst driving. Such a stupid system!!

Soot1e
19-03-2014, 01:16 PM
If the bonnet has been opened, the current oil level will be shown in the instrument cluster (DIS) the next time the ignition is switched on.

To check oil level using MMI: park on level surface, switch off warm engine, switch on ignition without starting engine, wait 2 mins, select function button CAR> oil level or CAR> Car systems>Servicing and checks>Oil level; read off oil level in infotainment display.