PDA

View Full Version : Another Fuel Thread

DSG4ME
18-03-2014, 03:32 PM
I'm seeing mixed results on this, not mine but as this is 1.6TDi Bluemotion engines this seems like a good place to post rather than general chat,

This is the thing

Two mates have two different family models

One has a Golf estate 2010 1.6TDi manual that the book says should return 54mpg urban, his trip shows 36mpg urban

The other has a Skoda Rapid TDi that is returning 49 urban which is a lot closer to the official figures than the Golf,

Also the Skoda is driven in heavy traffic where the Golf comes out when the roads are clearer, the Golf appears to be healthy enough although the driver is a bit of a pedal jockey but not to the extreme that he'd be that far down on official figures,

The B7 figures also don't stack up, official for a 2.0 TDi DSG is 44mpg, how would VW allow Skoda the more economic engines before themselves, the Superb CR models are the flip giving an official of 36mpg where my findings on test were closer to 30mpg,

I'm actually wondering how much difference an engine that burns oil over one that doesn't makes, this is another concern, if you have an oil burning engine like my B6 had then surely you're heading for DPF hassles and even if it doesn't block it's still going to effect the mpg if it's doing more re-gens?

zollaf
18-03-2014, 03:37 PM
in the good old days, pre 1995ish, before silly euro emissions, a diesel had very few restrictions. a landrover 200tdi for instance, or my very own 1z lump. dump as much fuel in as required and sod what comes out, but get plenty of power and great mpg to boot. now with all the emissions laws, they need to be cleaner.
buy petrol, new diesels suck.

niall campbell
09-04-2014, 07:23 PM
You dont say how many miles are on the clock.

The engine will ease off and after 40 to 45k you will get better fuel consumption

can you reset the computer for mpg, keep the car in 2nd gear and run it just under the red in revs for a couple of hundred yards to clear out the exhaust.

Steven715
19-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Hi there slightly off topic I have found that my 1.6TDI is more economical when its near freezing cold eg around 1-4 deg C the car will easy return 51 mpg on my 16 mile run to work about 10 of those miles is cruse control on at 70mph however when it's slightly warmer at 10-14 deg it's returning 45-48 mpg I know when it's done a regen as the mpg takes a hit to 41 mpg. I will still monitor it over the summer months and see what happens.

And FYI I don't drive it hard.
Just thought that I would put this out there to see what others think.

Steve.
Passat 1.6 TDI sport estate Bluemotion
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-uk/258698.png (http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Steven715/passat-2)