PDA

View Full Version : Back to standard alloys, advice needed.

dean1986
18-03-2014, 11:30 AM
I know tyres and wheels are a personal choice but Im really torn on what to do.
Just borught a b6 Passat with these wheels on (see photo). They are 235/45/18. Given that the car is black with dark tinted windows, they are not really to my taste so was looking probably for original VW wheels, Macau or scirocco turbine.
At the moment the front wheels have two new Pirelli Winter Sottozero which Im coming to hate. At less than 30mph they are very loud and 80mph+ there is vibration (I know this could possibly be other things).
Initially I was going to sell these wheels as and get another set of 18s with tyres for an easy swap. Then someone suggested keeping the tyres for winter as they are not cheap and very useful. On top of that someone then suggested switching to 17s for a better ride.
Given that this is my first Passat, was just after some advice or suggestion from people with better knowledge fo these cars than my self.

Splash
27-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Can't quite tell from the photo whether they're black or anthracite wheels. Since you're in WB, it might be worth popping down to Rimstock in Church Lane (left after old Rimstock building at sign for Tile place then right into silver Distribution centre) to see they can sort you something out if any Team Dynamics wheels take your fancy.

PM me if you need any more info.

dean1986
27-03-2014, 11:27 AM
I drive past that place everyday and yet I always forget about it when it comes wheels. Thanks.
The wheels are black but unfortunately have been done with a spray can so once I do take them off I may put a bit of hard work in and refurb them.

discobarry
06-04-2014, 08:35 AM
I'm not sure about the noise issue as sottozero are normally a fairly quite winter tyre, Winter tyres aren't what they used to be like now. Your vibration at high speeds is a balancing issue....You will only get a wheel wobble at lower speeds due to a tyre being out of shape. I guess the vibration comes through the steering wheel as well?

dean1986
07-04-2014, 11:53 AM
I suspect the two are caused by different things. All the sound tests I have found are measured cruising at 70mph, and at 70mph they are ok, its between about 28-35 mph where it is at its loudest, like a rumbling. Suppose I should try rotating the wheels and see if the sound switches to the back.
Thought the higher speed maybe balancing as I used to get it on my last car.
One of my friends checked a few things and he seems to think all the wheels bearing etc. are ok.

discobarry
07-04-2014, 06:28 PM
It may well be your tyres then, however i would be surprised. Try putting summer tyres on and seeing what goes on then.