PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fan on/off with ignition

Dutch Paddy
15-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Dear all,

My wife returned home from work on Friday in our 2008 Scout 2.0 TDi and she told me the fan was constantly running under the bonnet. As soon as the ignition is turned on the fan comes on, when killing the ignition the fan runs for a few more seconds before it stops.

Engine temp is normal, there has been no AC related work done, it just started doing this from Wednesday apparently.
I'm on the Skoda forum Briskoda as well and although there are related issues I did not find the same issue, fan coming on/off with ignition...

Had a friend doing a read out and the attached image is the result. Your help would be much appreciated.

Dutch Paddy
15-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Hope I didn't scare anybody lol!

Fired the car up after standing all night and fans didn't come on. Had car idle for few minutes and still no fans. Took car for a drive to get temp up to the normal 90c and returned to base. After idling for a minute or 2 the fans came on and stayed on for about 15 more seconds after I killed the engine. Let car sit for an hour or 2, started engine and within few seconds the fans came on again.

I've since also read a lot about the VAG P1672 fault which seems to be a common one, but not always leads to the same cause. The temperature sender could be suspect, bad wiring and corrosion are also possible causes. As the sender is virtually unreachable for somebody with hands my size I've booked the car in with a friend of mine who has a small garage. Hopefully he'll sort it all out.

I'll report back later when we know what caused the symptoms so anybody experiencing this in the future can benefit!