PDA

View Full Version : Service & Fuel filter etc......

fat controller
13-03-2014, 05:45 PM
Now, this may be complete paranoia, but you all know how it is......

I have a choice between two independents to service my car - the one who recently did my cambelt and water pump and seem to have done a top job, or another that I have used and known personally for years. Both/either will be stamping the service book so that isn't much of a consideration.

The first will supply everything, do the job and hand the car back done - the only thing I cannot be sure of is whether OEM parts are used or not? Indeed, does it have to be OEM parts, or are there other branded parts that are just as good?

The second is happier to have me supply the parts and oils, and he provides the labour - this will almost certainly be the cheaper choice, but again, will the parts from the likes of Opie or Euro be the right ones for the job?

Lastly, I have a touch of paranoia about the fuel filter - I know it is located on the underside of the car somewhere, and I am sure that I have read somewhere on here that it has to be primed before fitting to the car - I assume that this means that it has to be filled with diesel somehow? What happens if either of my mechanics fail to prime the filter before fitting? Would I even know?

And whilst I am at it, is there any benefit in going for an activated charcoal pollen filter as opposed to a standard one?

Any other advice welcomed.

Boy
13-03-2014, 06:22 PM
In your position I would change the pollen filter myself (as I recently did). It is a two minute job and so pointless to pay anybody else to do it for you. The difference in price between the filters suggests to me that you should go for the charcoal one. As for the fuel filter, I shall be interested to read the responses you get, as I have one and also wish to change it.

Guest 2
13-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Charcoal filter is for cars with aircon, get genuine or Bosch parts, you might find the genuine parts are cheaper than you think.

zollaf
13-03-2014, 08:09 PM
wix probably make the filters that vw fitted originally. they make filters for most manufacturers.

b206
14-03-2014, 12:01 PM
Buy the parts from your local Audi dealership - I have quite often found parts are cheaper and you have the added benefit of knowing they are genuine!

Re the fuel filter - I'm guessing it wouldn't start if they didn't prime the filter - they would then have to bleed the system.

Crasher
14-03-2014, 12:15 PM
There is nothing wrong with non OEM parts, for example Meyle aren't an OEM but make some fantastic parts but there are also some OEM suppliers who make rubbish, the trick is knowing who produces the parts in the first place and where to buy the best parts at the best price. Remember also that a parts manufacturer can legally say they are an OEM next to their parts listing for an Audi when they may only be an OEM for some obscure Chinese brand, but they are still an OEM. Your garage should have the experience of where to obtain trustworthy parts so what you need to know is what that garage puts first, quality or profit?

fat controller
14-03-2014, 05:52 PM
To be fair, the garage has a good reputation, so I doubt they would do anything to jeopardise that, so if it goes into that garage I won't have any clue what is fitted (and doubt that I will have any issues with it either); if I use my other guy, I will almost certainly fit the pollen and air filters and get him to do the oil and fuel and give it the once over so he can stamp the book - that way, I save a few quid which is desirable given that I have only just shelled out on a cambelt and water pump.

I'd do the fuel filter myself too, but I am concerned that I would make a balls of it, not least when it comes to priming it with fuel? Is it a right pig of a job?

Crasher
15-03-2014, 07:43 PM
What make of cambelt kit and water pump did you have fitted?

When we service a car almost all of our oil, air, fuel and cabin filters are Mann with the occasional Febi part slipping in but oddly our typical 056 and 06A steel canister filters tend to be genuine VAG as they are very well priced from TPS and quality is beyond question. It seems that the aftermarket filters have made more sales since the replaceable element came in, perhaps because now you can completely see the quality and you are not worried about what may be hidden inside.

Priming the fuel filter can be a git but yours has an electric lift pump so a good 20 or so ignition on/off cycles to build up the system helps and often it only takes around 15 to 30 seconds of cranking to pull the fuel through. The 2.5 V6 TDI engine is awful, there is no lift pump and the VP44 couldn't such the head off the top of a pint of ale!

113brucey
15-03-2014, 10:07 PM
I fitted my own fuel filter (I a tech)no priming req just fit and start

fat controller
17-03-2014, 05:29 PM
As far as I know, OEM parts were used -but I must admit that I didn't check at the time.

I am tempted to get all the bits I need from Euro, fit the pollen, fuel and air filters myself and get my man to do the rest - that keeps the cost right down whilst still knowing that the book is stamped and its been checked over.

Euro have Mann, Hengst or Crossland filters - are they much of a muchness, or are Mann the best of the bunch?

113brucey
17-03-2014, 08:24 PM
man filters ok same as oe spec

HAWKS
17-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Just to add to your paranoia....
Could you be sure they will use your good oil an put in any old cooking oil??
Could you not change the oil&filter yourself??
Get Browny points from Mrs.
Save more dosh so you could treat the Mrs?:friday:

fat controller
17-03-2014, 09:07 PM
I know for sure that my usual fella wouldn't dream of using anything but the oil that I gave him - besides, I need to let him do something of a service to get my book stamped :)

Mann filters it is then - cheers gents :)

fat controller
17-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Not bad - £75.25 all in with the 30% off for St Patrick's Day.

Oil, Air, Fuel & Activated Carbon Pollen filters all Mann, and Shell Helix oil.

Guest 2
17-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Not bad indeed, hope you're keeping well!! :)

fat controller
17-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Not bad thanks mate - think I've got a wee touch of man-flu coming on this evening, but other than that......

How are you & yours?