PDA

View Full Version : Engine Management Warning Light

Isa
13-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Hi, I have an 03 2lt petrol Beetle. Previously when the engine management light came on i took it to a garage and they could not find anything wrong and they re set the light. Recently the light has come on again and stayed on, the car was running fine until yesterday when it took several attempts to start it, and the same again this morning. Yesterday once i got it started there was a puff of black "smoke" from the exhaust, but it does not appear to be burning rich as condensation is coming out of the exhaust pipe.

I dont know if it is connected but the temperature gauge inside the car for the internal temperture sometimes is alot higher than you would have thought. Today it was reading 26.5 c yet outside was about 19c. The car was in the shade.

Does anyone have any ideas? thanx:aargh4:

chris01
30-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Hi, I have an 03 2lt petrol Beetle. Previously when the engine management light came on i took it to a garage and they could not find anything wrong and they re set the light. Recently the light has come on again and stayed on, the car was running fine until yesterday when it took several attempts to start it, and the same again this morning. Yesterday once i got it started there was a puff of black "smoke" from the exhaust, but it does not appear to be burning rich as condensation is coming out of the exhaust pipe.

I dont know if it is connected but the temperature gauge inside the car for the internal temperture sometimes is alot higher than you would have thought. Today it was reading 26.5 c yet outside was about 19c. The car was in the shade.

Does anyone have any ideas? thanx:aargh4:

Hi, the missus has an 01 2ltr. HAd the same problem with the EM light. Was eventually told that it is a common problem with these engine management systems as they are ultra sensitive. Mechanic told me that it was most likely due to the fuel and to only use the 'super unleaded' instead of the standard and this has solved the problem. Hope this helps.

lol1960
10-10-2007, 04:45 PM
:banghead::banghead: had the same prob but it came down to the fact of the way it was driven ie to slow to low revs
caused lamda sensors to fail and had to be replaced
get them to put car on krypton tuner to check lamda sensors
:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Watko50
05-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Hi we have just recently (28.3.2009) purchased a 2 litre Beetle 2000 reg and all we seem to have is different lights staying on,. As soon as we bought it the Air Bag light kept staying on and now joined this week by the Engine Management light staying on.
As this is my wifes car she is worried about driving this vehicle while these lights are on what is your recommendations:
Would it be take it to main dealer straight away and get it connected to electronic check software?

We understand that it has a full service history and it was last serviced in March 2009 at 71000 miles.

chris01
06-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Hi we have just recently (28.3.2009) purchased a 2 litre Beetle 2000 reg and all we seem to have is different lights staying on,. As soon as we bought it the Air Bag light kept staying on and now joined this week by the Engine Management light staying on.
As this is my wifes car she is worried about driving this vehicle while these lights are on what is your recommendations:
Would it be take it to main dealer straight away and get it connected to electronic check software?

We understand that it has a full service history and it was last serviced in March 2009 at 71000 miles.

Not sure about the airbag warning light. Wouldnt want to recommend anything on that apart from getting it checked out but the engine management warning light is just a constant pain which has never affected the vehicle. We have had services in official & unofficial VW garages and it always comes back on so we just dont worry about it.

Watko50
06-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks Chris, I am taking the car back to the garage on Wednesday so hope to get both light problems resolved then. The guy who sold us the car said the EMW light has links to 150 sensors so it could be any thing? so we will wait and see he has offered to pay for the checkup so we will see if there is anything that has to be repaired and hopefully he will pay for that as well, I will let you know. Thanks again for your comments. Regards, Steve

steve555
23-08-2012, 10:55 PM
hello matey did you get the airbag light sorted - if so how?

also the engine light? as i have the same twpolights comings on cheers

Thanks Chris, I am taking the car back to the garage on Wednesday so hope to get both light problems resolved then. The guy who sold us the car said the EMW light has links to 150 sensors so it could be any thing? so we will wait and see he has offered to pay for the checkup so we will see if there is anything that has to be repaired and hopefully he will pay for that as well, I will let you know. Thanks again for your comments. Regards, Steve