PDA

View Full Version : Volkswagen 12 year corrosion warranty

MAZI
09-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Volkswagen 12 year corrosion warranty
Anyone know anything about this or had any experience of claiming.
My cousin has a 54 plate golf GTTDI which has a fair bit of rust for its age.
Anyway took it to VW body shop who checked the paint thickness with a paint depth
gauge and confirmed that the areas with rust had not been painted. One wing has been but is not rusted.
The guy submitted his report and we got a reply back saying VW will not cover it as the car has been painted.
I tried to email the VW warranty administrator but the email kept bouncing back so I wrote a recorded delivery letter
explaining that the car is on original paint apart from one wing which does not need painted anyway.
Also told then the car had been inspected by an independent insurance approved body shop who confirmed this.
Letter was end of last year but they failed to reply.
What next?

Guest 2
09-03-2014, 06:03 PM
If you search the forum for 'corrosion' you'll see this is a well documented subject.

chody
09-03-2014, 08:47 PM
take it to your local vw dealers and let them appeal it and download the bulletin on the rust thread as ammunition if all else fails send customer services a letter before legal action and take them to small claims court for cost of repairs

MAZI
09-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the replies
I don't think my local VW dealer will appeal it as they cant even be bothered to reply to letters.
Some links to relevant threads and VW bulletin on the rust issues would be appreciated.

Guest 2
09-03-2014, 10:53 PM
If you read the long thread if you search you'll find that some are successful getting it repaired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimC64
10-03-2014, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the replies
I don't think my local VW dealer will appeal it as they cant even be bothered to reply to letters.
Some links to relevant threads and VW bulletin on the rust issues would be appreciated.

Hi Mazi,
a quick search would have immediately thrown up the major thread re this issue...........It is long and involved and posted into by many, a really well doscumented issue that VW have been trying to dodge for a long time & contiue to do so.

You will have a fight on your hands....

I'm surprised no one has simply added a link for you, but anyway, please see below.....

Please Help front wing corrosion (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?104409-front-wing-corrosion)

Page 4 & post #33 I think it is has the tsb you may be looking for

Rear, read and re read this thread for all the info you need

Good luck

Gmonster
11-03-2014, 12:48 AM
Have a story on this. Wife's 2005 Golf GTI. Getting serviced 4-5 mths ago at Arnold/Clark Linwood. Had usual rust developing around front wheel arches (plastic liner rubbing against wing etc) In the passing asked service advisor to recommend a good body shop. Within minutes there warranty tech was in car measuring paint thicknesses and filling out form. All with no push from me. Booked into Glasgow Vw body shop. Two new wings and paint job later: car is back to looking great. That's a £1000 + repair at no cost or push from myself. I was amazed/gob smacked/ grateful. Was the dealer we bought the car from new etc.

soulglow1234
30-08-2017, 09:56 PM
can anyone help?
I own a vw golf 09plate it has rust forming on the bootlid quite noticeable and also on wheel arch. spoke to vw who basically are coming up with an excuse for everything ie stone chip, defect in paint etc in order to avoid fixing this under watranty

Scott K
31-08-2017, 08:56 AM
Hi, try posting in the forum for your model (Mk5 or 6?) where you will probably get more response and hopefully some answers. For the paint to be defective it has to be from the inside out. If you could also add a couple of photos it might help guys get an idea of the damage.
Good luck.

Gmonster
31-08-2017, 01:23 PM
I would add that paintwork can become defective because of being affected(seal broken etc) by other car parts/fittings that are part of the original construction. My success in this area was because VW had an established fault/issue in the way inner wheel arch plastic covers were fitted rubbing against the painted wheel arch edges. (heard of other Audi drivers being successful here) This was an issue with circa 2005 cars: They have since solved this issue.

I would also add that IMO dealer loyalty would aid you here ( did you buy the car from them .. was it new etc)