PDA

View Full Version : What wheels / steering for a 1995 T4

Winchweight
13-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Hi, I want to put alloys on my T4, and I want to change my steering wheel for something that didn't come out of a WW2 truck!

Ebay is full of ads claiming that these wheels will fit a Golf, Bora, Passat and Transporter, but is that true?

What off the shelf (eBay) wheels should I look for?

What of the shelf steering wheel should I look for (no airbag)?

Winchweight
18-09-2007, 05:32 PM
28 views and no replies. Guess I'll try somewhere else.

Sam
18-09-2007, 05:39 PM
I have no experience with the T4 range so rather than comment or make the wrong decision, I didn't reply :(

But!

T4 has a PCD of 112x5 which is the same as the Passat. Offset is similar (40) too.

Either a fat spoked wheel or a plain faced would suit the T4 in my opinion.

Merc wheels are nice (I have a similar design on my Passat)

As for steering wheel, no idea I'm afraid, what do you have already?

Winchweight
18-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Hi Sam, thanks. It has the standard steel wheels and a ropey old standard steering wheel, that's about the size of a Mack truck.The problem with the steering wheel is that the rubber outer has detached from the steel inner and the wheel floats about in your hand!

As for the main wheels, I want to lower the height a bit, reduce the roll and hopefully make it a bit less agricultural.

Sam
18-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Hehe, I like your thinking.

Almost all the big names do lowering kits with, in my opinion, Koni/Eibach being the best. If it were me, I'd get it lowered and see how it suits yours needs before moving on to wheels, braces etc.

I'd also go for a like-for-like swap on the steering wheel.

Winchweight
18-09-2007, 09:43 PM
I'll ask around. Thanks Sam

mulley
26-09-2007, 12:26 PM
ebay is good for wheels, midland wheels come highly recomended, price is great choise is excellent and they do fit, i brought rs8 replica alloys 18" with proper low profile van wheels for less than £500 delivered, not bad, they look good and fit perfect, you'll want to lower it as well, if so let me know and i will post a link with the place i got my springs from, again ebay based, lower 55mm rear looks great, simple adjustment up front, sorry if i am telling you stuff you already know but i know what its like when all you want is a bit of help.......
mulley
ps tell midland wheels there for a van so you get the correct tyres and pcd etc.

Winchweight
26-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Very helpful, thanks mate. I use eBay for everything, so I'll have a look. Cheers

MAZI
25-10-2007, 10:37 PM
audi a4 / a6 and passat wheels will fit straight on and as for the sterring wheel it sounds like you have an early t4 if your steering wheel is so big, get a steering wheel from a later t4 as they are smaller and more attractive

WILLY
27-10-2007, 10:15 AM
i have audi a4 wheels on mine ,fit straight on, tyres not bad on price
205/55/16 ,£30+ each ,,,remember bigger the wheels more cash for tyres !!!!

t4 animal
13-11-2007, 05:06 PM
be very carefull when you lower the front,they are torsion bars,easily done,use plenty of release oil for a coupla days beforehand cause the nuts tend to rust-when you actually do the job MAKE SURE YOU JACK THE FRONT END UP AND PUT SUMMIT UNDERNEATH EACH SIDE-CUASE IF THE TORSION BARS COME OUT OF THEIR SEATING AND YOU AINT GOT NOTHING TO TAKE THE WEIGHT-YOUR GONNA BE A DEAD MAN,THE VANS FRONT END CAN POSSIBLY COLLAPSE ONTO YOU-NOT WORTH THE RISK,IDID IT WITH OUT ANY SUPPORT,THEN READ WHAT COULDA HAPPENED-I'LL NEVER MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN,AND IF THEY DO COME OUT,THEIR A B**TCH TO GET BACK IN,SORRY TO PUT A DOWNER ON THINGS BETTER TO B SAFE THAN XTREMELY SORRY.GOODLUCK:yikes:

murrayxxx77
22-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Make sure PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter) is correct.
Transporter is 5 (stud) x 112 mm PCD.
Golfs, A3 etc usually have 5 x 100 PCD so won't fit.
Also check offset. (Transporter is 35-38).
Wheels have markings stamped on the back (ET = offset)
Try this site ... www.silicon2000.co.uk/wheelspec
Just bought four A4 chunky alloys for my T4 for £80 off Ebay. All with good tyres but they're not reinforced (RF) so new tyres and sell the old ones.
Hope that helps

Regards
Murray