PDA

View Full Version : Electric windows with a mind of their own

Katyvic
13-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Hello

I am either going mad :1zhelp:, or my electric windows seem to operate all by themselves from time to time... I park on my drive and use the remote control to put on the central locking, then go to empty my postbox at home. In the time it takes to retrieve my letters, the windows have wound down to half way (then stop). It has done this three times now - but intermittently.

I have also noticed that the car seems to clunk sometimes when I park, as if the central locking has just been applied (but while the key is still in the ignition). Occasionally (twice I think) the car has locked itself when I got out and removed the key.
I swear I didn't press the 'lock' button...:confused:

Is there something sinister going on? It's a Mk5 Golf, 2 years old and (only just) still in warranty. So I need to get it in quickly if there is something to sort out, and would like to sound half competent when I go (it does sound rather far-fetched, unless this is a common problem!).

Many thanks for any help.

BuyanythingbutaVW
18-09-2007, 08:55 PM
My windows do this as well and the windows have dropped several times whilst I have been parked up. Not yet happened on the streets, but has happened in the works car park. I was wondering if it was something to do with other car fobs being used in close proximity or something like that.

The car wiring loom has been replaced once before and has always been subject to electrical gremlins, but like you I wouldn't mind knowing if this is a common problem.

Katyvic
19-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I mentioned the problem to a friend of mine (now an ex-friend ;)) .... and when they had picked themselves up off the floor laughing, they explained to me that if you clutch the VW Golf key fob tightly for 3 seconds, pressing on the 'Open' or 'Close' pads, the remote control operates the windows instead of the doors...

:aargh4:

So I tried this - and, yes, it seems to be the case. So I probably accidentally triggered this when I was juggling the things I was carrying, to open up my postbox...

Not sure about the central locking, though, and my side mirrors seem to have a mind of their own sometimes (the right hand mirror doesn't always return to position after I have retracted them - and they have replaced the motor for this once already).

Ho hum. Was embarrassing, though, about the key fob!

K

BuyanythingbutaVW
19-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Hello again,

You might just want to check that it is actually the key fob that is causing the problem, as I know about this total closure function and use it regularly. I usually use this function when I have forgotten to close the windows and I am in a queue to pay for the fuel. Alternatively I usually drop the windows when it is really hot to let out the heat.

As I know about this function, I am very careful not to accidentally press the key fob for too long when closing the windows. Yet even after checking the car is secure after pressing the fob, I still occasionally come back to a car with open windows (usually eight hours later).

My car has more electrical gremlins than any other car I have ever owned and as such I think this may be a defect and not just a simple fob problem.

It will be checked next time the car goes into VW.

Cheers

Jamie

Katyvic
20-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks again - I'll keep an eye on it.

K

ddealmei
21-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Have you had any luck with the retractable mirror? Mine is doing the exact same thing and I've also had the motor replaced which did not help.. its gone in for a second time maybe they'll try replacing the switch :D

Katyvic
22-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Hi

No - the retractable mirror still fails from time to time - often when it has been sitting idle in the garage for a few days over the weekend. After about ten or so attempts (during which the left and right hand mirrors get hopelessly out of synch) it then eventually decides to work. No rhyme or reason to it that I can see, although I have noticed some improvement (I think) if I don't run other things (e.g. CD player) at the same time.

Key fob/windows problem has resolved itself - it was sheer dopiness on my part.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

K

ddealmei
28-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Well mine was in last week and in again this week.. just went to pick it up they are going to replace the mirror motor for the second time and the actual mirror housing...Ill let you know if that solves the problem.:biglaugh:

globetrotter
30-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Mate of mine has had similar problems and his garage said it could be the ECU.

Apparently all the interior courtesy devices ie windows, door mirrors and locking systems are computor controlled.

Anyone else had this diagnoses?