PDA

View Full Version : Passat B6 Ipod query

Dango
11-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Getting a new Passat sport estate next week and wondered if anyone can recommend an iPod connection to the standard head unit.

I'm used to using Alpine, but don't expect the functionality to be as good.

:Blush:

Mark Hutchinson
12-07-2006, 05:29 PM
VW have their own iPod connecting kit at around £130 fitted (having one installed soon). It connects to the external multichanger CD input socket on the head unit and, on the 6 player version, takes over the 6th CD slot on the radio display. It does appear though that no track info can be passed from iPod to head unit, just track numbers.

trident
26-09-2006, 04:02 PM
:beerchug: VW ipod kit as factory fitted, has anyone got this yet/

How functional is it for controlling the music selection ?

OR would it be better to have the USB connection and plug the ipod into that ??

Thank you for the reply

John

Mark Hutchinson
26-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Have had the VW iPod connector fitted. The sound quality is excellent (useing AAC rather than MP3), although even with the iPod at full volume it needs the main unit to be turned up quite a bit more than when you play a CD. This means that if you switch back to a CD without adjusting the volume you get a big shock! As for controlling the music it is very limited. With the 6 player unit each of the first 5 CDs represents the first five playlists on the iPod. The sixth CD is the full track list, A-Z. No track info is passed to the head unit, you need to look at the iPod in the glovebox for that (but you can't control the iPod itself if it is hooked up). You can, therefore, choose one of five playlists and skip from track to track and that's about it. Alternatively disconnect the iPod, choose the track/album manually and than reconnect.

I have the 5 playlists set up as whole artist catalogues at the moment and then use the MIX option.

Not the best iPod integration solution in the world.

Dango
26-09-2006, 05:31 PM
I bought the Ice Link Plus (http://www.dension.com/icelinkplus.php) in the end, it has the same functionally as you've described but no problems with volume, its the same on radio/CD/iPod :Blush:

trident
26-09-2006, 08:02 PM
I bought the Ice Link Plus (http://www.dension.com/icelinkplus.php) in the end, it has the same functionally as you've described but no problems with volume, its the same on radio/CD/iPod :Blush:

Hi

Did you fit it yourself or where etc.

John:beerchug:

Dango
26-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Dead easy, unclip the surround cover to the radio, undo the four Torq screws and slide the radio out

DO NOT UNPLUG THE SURROUND FROM THE CABLE THAT LIGHTS UP THE PASSENGER AIRBAG DISPLAY AT THE BOTTOM, OR YOU'LL NEED VW TO RESET.

Nothing to worry about, just don't do it.

The Icelink then just plugs straight into the changer port, I then popped the cable through to the glove compartment.

Job done in 10 minutes, very easy plug and play :biggthump

IanFromAylesbury
30-09-2006, 05:00 PM

Dango,

Have you got the Multifunction steering wheel option and if so does the Ice Link Plus work with it? Also, are you restricted to only using the head unit for control or can you still control iPod directly when it's connected?

Ian

Dango
01-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Sorry, no just the standard steering wheel and now an MFD2 dvd driven
sat nav radio :cool:

apole
05-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Hi,

I have the older passsat with the Gamma HU and an X-Link Ipod adaptor (similar to VW and Dension in that plugs into CD changer port). The steering wheel controls do work with this unit, you can change songs like on a CD and the volume. The maxdot display and HU only gives you a CD number and track number, no text as to what the song or artist is like on the Ipod. You can control the Ipod from the controls and the Ipod unless you are using the 5 playlists as per above, then the Ipod controls are locked.
The volume on this is the same as a CD and turning it up on the Ipod has no effect. Quality is excellent.
The X-Link was just under £60 all in and also allows you to still use the CD changer if fitted, many of these interfaces replace the CD changer so this is quite a good feature.

Hope this info helps.

Andy