PDA

View Full Version : Question To fix a good 1.9tdi avant quattro or not to fix a good 1.9tdi quattro ?

germaniaudi
05-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Hi to All

I wanted to gauge peoples reaction to my predicament, which is:

Purchased an R reg 1.9tdi Quattro Estate £900.00, However... It needs... Rocker gasket, crankshaft pulley, alternator pulley, rear diff gasket, front control arms, rear antiroll bar links, discs and pads. Also recommends to replace all shocks and springs as these are after market lowered ones, good set but ruins the ride and scrapes the bottom on speed bumps!

I am seeking a refund from the car dealer as it is not fit for purpose but have already spent £350.oo on a cambelt, water pump and full health check.

Do I
A. Keep my old one on the road until august (MOT date) and fix this one up and potentially have a cracking motor (estimated £800 in parts)

or

B. Cut my losses and spend £3-4k on a decent newer version

Is it worth it is the basic question? Would really appreciate your views, however sarcastic!?!?!

zollaf
05-03-2014, 04:29 PM
if its a nice looking car, clean and straight bodywork, then yes it would be worth it. its an old car at the end of the day, but with that lovely ultr reliable afn diesel engine, would make a good car and ultimately be better to run than a later one for 3-4k. this is the problem with trading in older cars, yo can't expect a mint one for peanuts and have to accept the fact it will need money spending on it, but that list is pretty well a good list for an a4 like that. don't skimp on the arms though, get a quality set, not cheap ones from ebay.
you could spend 3k and get a newer one, and still have a bill for a grand come a major service. keep this one, rebuild it and enjoy what is one of the best cars out there. my 80 has almost the same engine and has 322k on the clock.

germaniaudi
05-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Thanks for that i don't feel such an idiot for taking on the project. It was the tidy appearance and good history that sold me on it (11yrs of dealer stamps) but its the last 4 years that someone has neglected it a bit. My old one is the FWD version which unfortunately someone ran into the back of me, it still drives and would pass an MOT but that ding on the back bugs me and makes a nice car look like a rustbucket. 4.5 years and nearly 70k miles ive put on it and aprt form the £1500 i spent on it in its first year its been a solid as a rock.

germaniaudi
05-03-2014, 04:52 PM
By the way. Where do you buy the quality front arms? I bought a set from ATP on Ebay for my last car they seemed to of done the trick cost me about £120.00 for the lot inc. tie rod ends?

spartacus 68
06-03-2014, 01:05 AM
If it's going to be a keeper, then go ahead and invest in it. At the end of the day - it's 1997, so it's no spring chicken! As mentioned already the diesel 1.9 lump is robust and bullet proof. Regular oil and filter changes every 10k will keep this on the road for many years to come. The B5 shape is still attractive. Go for headlight/indicator upgrade found on newer models.

Decent arms - opt for Meyle HD, comes with 4 year warranty. Do front and rear ARB bushes too. I'd stick genuine shocks on too. Drain and refill rear diff for peace of mind.

germaniaudi
10-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Hi there do either of you guys know if these shocks and springs would be good as a replacement?

Audi a4 b5 quattro full set of shocks and springs | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-a4-b5-quattro-full-set-of-shocks-and-springs-/261415654618?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Cars+Year%3A1997%7CCar+Make%3AAudi%7CCars+Typ e%3A1.9+TDI+quattro%7CPlat_Gen%3A8D5%2CB5%7CModel% 3AA4&hash=item3cdd9654da)

zollaf
10-03-2014, 02:30 PM
bargain. kyb actually make most dampers out there. i run their ultra sr ones on mine.