PDA

View Full Version : Three years old already

SunnyBard
04-03-2014, 09:00 PM
My car is almost three years old, 57,000 miles had its third service 10 days ago, times are obviously hard for the dealers, the only freebie I got with the service was a bottle of Audi water before I've got a tin of sweets and a litre of oil.

Car has needed 8 new tyres in that time, I was expecting it might need another set of front brake pads (first change was at 29,000) but Audi Leicester said it only had 65% wear on front and 50% wear on rear.

Had to have a new windscreen (one huge chip since it was about 3 months old, but with MOT looming I couldn't delay any longer) annoyingly the replacement has a very fine zig-zag visible in the toughening, more distracting than the stone chip was!

Took it for its MOT last week, I use an independent guy who *only* does MOTs no servicing, two advisories, he showed me the inside front pads and there's under 2mm left, outside ones a little more, the rears he agreed were at about 50%, also the offside rear shock is misting with oil around the head and dust sticking to the whole of the body, and the biggest worry but not an MOT issue there's oil leaking all over the casing of the sports diff.

So I took it back into Audi Leicester asking them to look at the diff (they've agreed it needs two new drive shafts and seals replacing under warranty) they say the shock misting is "normal", seems odd that only one of the four is doing it, no action.

Are there brake wear sensors on all pads, or just the outside ones? worried the inner ones will continue to wear faster than outside and I could end-up needing discs as well as pads, I wouldn't have minded if they'd said it did need front pads, I can't easily get under the car to keep an eye on wear, should I just wait for the light to come on and then book it in again sharpish?

Trying not to count the amount it's depreciated by, the car was always meant to be a treat and it still puts a smile on my face, not ready to fork out a fortune for a new one yet!

Boy
04-03-2014, 10:30 PM
I gather from what has been said in the posting problems section that you may
need to update your version of Internet Explorer to V 11 to make the return key function.

SunnyBard
04-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Thanks but I'm a Firefox user not IE. I've not used the forums for quite a while but the login no longer seem to work unless I tick the "remember me" box, it used to work without before, and I'm no fan of the skimwords adverts either ...

Turn out the "return key not working" was caused by me having altered my user agent from the default earlier while investigating something on another website, then forgetting to put it back again!

SunnyBard
06-03-2014, 08:20 PM
there's oil leaking all over the casing of the sports diff.
they've agreed it needs two new drive shafts and seals replacing under warranty

Well they needed the car for 3 days altogether, looks like that cost Audi UK about £700, I didn't expect to feel any difference in the car, but actually it's fixed the "snatchy/backlash" feeling I'd occasionally noticed in 1st and 2nd gear, which I'd put down to wear and tear in the DSG.

So I'm pleased with the end result, but not so pleased that Audi themselves didn't spot/advise of the issue when it's a known TPI and very thankful to my MOT tester for pointing it out to me.

Also got to drive a virtually new A6 S-line for a couple of days, two boxes of mints and I managed to blag a bottle of screenwash :D