PDA

View Full Version : Power loss and low mpg

thesoundone
03-03-2014, 09:50 PM
Hi,

I've posted this in the model specific forum section but there doesn't seem to be much traffic in there..

Hopefully a TDI whizz can offer some

I recently purchased an altea 2.0 tdi sport with the BKD engine and it has 130,000 on the clock.

Driving it around I noticed that it doesn't feel like the turbo is fully boosting and it almost feels like the revs are restricted. Over a 40 mile run down the A1 at 60mph all I managed was 41mpg. It also feels like its just running a bit rough in general. It hasn't gone into limp mode but it doesn't feel too far off that kind of drop in power. It takes around 10 seconds to go from 60 - 70..

The engine light is on and it's has the following fault codes stored: 17058 and 04753. I think the first code relates to glow plugs but can't find anything on the second one..

It's gone back to the garage where I bought it but they are saying that they have simply cleared the codes and it's running great now. I'm picking it up tomorrow but I wanted to get to grips with what might be causing it..

I've had a few TDI's now and this one is the slowest and most thirsty one of the lot. There's clearly something wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam
04-03-2014, 10:39 AM
What are you using to scan the car?

The first code isn't, or doesn't appear to be, a VCDS code at all

The latter code is a fault with glow plug number 4 - swap it with another glow plug to see if the fault follows the plugs.

thesoundone
06-03-2014, 10:19 PM
What are you using to scan the car?

The first code isn't, or doesn't appear to be, a VCDS code at all

The latter code is a fault with glow plug number 4 - swap it with another glow plug to see if the fault follows the plugs.

I just used a small hand held reader I got from Amazon. Got the car back from the place I bought it from and it's had two new glow plugs and a new EGR. Still getting crap mpg though (35 average) and there is quite a lot of hiss coming from the engine on acceleration (intercooler leak?) and virtually no power low down the rev range.

Ive just bought a new Bosch MAF which I'll try tomorrow too.

Its really getting on my wick now..

CLP Automotive
11-03-2014, 05:19 PM
If you have a hissing noise on acceleration it sounds like you have possibly got a leak on the boost system somewhere ie. split pipe or intercooler.

Unrelated to the hissing i'd also have a quick check of the fuel filter condition and make sure you haven't got soot/oil in there from worn injector seats or leaking tandem pump.