PDA

View Full Version : SD Card and new 2014 Audi A4

Camerashy
03-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Done a quick search in my manual but cannot find what is the largest SD card that I can use in my new Audi.
I think in my 2007 one it was 512MB but sure I have seen in the new models it is 32GB
any one help please
thanks
dave

RichA4
03-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Hi

Just got my new 2014 Black Edition on Saturday March 1st.

At present I am using a 16gb and a 32gb sd card.

Not sure about maximums but I can get loads of stuff on these two :)

Hope this helps.

Scott K
03-03-2014, 02:03 PM
There have been threads about this in the A6 C7 and A7 sections. Seems to be that size of card doesn't matter as long as it is formatted properly - believe it needs to be FAT.

Guest 2
03-03-2014, 02:05 PM
As Scott says make sure it's formatted to FAT32 and it takes SDHC so the size is up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camerashy
03-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Thanks everyone, I meant to ask is it the SDC type card and not the SD and how does one format it to FAT32....I normally format all my Compact Flash card in camera but don't know how to do it by another method?
Thanks
Dave

RichA4
03-03-2014, 03:25 PM
I believe the SDHC cards come already formatted to FAT32.

I simply took mine out of the packaging and used them.( used USB reader and transferred music via my PC )

Camerashy
03-03-2014, 03:59 PM
I believe the SDHC cards come already formatted to FAT32.

I simply took mine out of the packaging and used them.( used USB reader and transferred music via my PC )
Thanks, that's how I do it too with a card reader

RichA4
04-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Just out of interest , I tried FAT, FAT32 and NTFS.

FAT and FAT32 are supported but not NTFS !!

Plife
05-03-2014, 05:31 PM
There is a limit to the number of files you can have on the card though..... I have 500 in my head, but that may not be right!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Camerashy
05-03-2014, 11:05 PM
Just found the answer to my own question it's on page 31 of the MMI Manual.
SD cards up to 32Gb; FAT or FAT32 file systems

junchen
06-03-2014, 07:14 AM
Yup for Fat is usually 32gb. U can try formatting 64gb cards in fat. It *might* work.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

RichA4
06-03-2014, 02:37 PM
There is a limit to the number of files you can have on the card though..... I have 500 in my head, but that may not be right!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Seems the limitations are restricted to FAT ( FAT16)

FAT16 holds a maximum of 512 entries, and the limit can be even lower due to the use of long file names in the root folder.
FAT32 allows the root directory to grow.

The above is from Microsoft Technet

globet
04-03-2015, 09:32 PM
Realise this is a fairly old string...

I have a 2014 S-line A3 quattro with MMI. there's a lot of out-of-date info out there but here's what worked for me; I use iTunes/iMac but my music library is all .MP3, not AAC. I was using iPod Classic for media but found it to be very flaky with the MMI. Sometimes lost memory of last position overnight, (or after an hour, or a week) sometimes iPod would not go to sleep mode etc. when car was switched off, even when audio also off, so iPod battery drained.

I already had a 128Gb SDXC card (Windows formatted). Audi manual says 64Gb max, but my card seemed to work fine but did get confused by .JPG album artwork files etc.

I reformatted the SD card on my iMac to ExFat, copied my Music director over to the card, used the (really good) OS-X finder function to find and delete all the image files and to delete any empty folders.

Works perfectly in MMI, no losing places, no battery to go flat. For some albums it takes a few seconds while it (i think) has to deal with some Apple formatting, but that's just at the start of a folder.

An earlier post mentioned a limit of 1000 files for MMI - as far as I have been able to ascertain there is a limit of 1000 files in any one folder (not sure if that also means no more than 1000 sub-folders in any higher level folder); my musiic is arranged in Artist folders with Album folders next level down - so I have about 250 Artist folders covering about 450 albums.

Hellodave.
06-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Yup for Fat is usually 32gb. U can try formatting 64gb cards in fat. It *might* work.

Try a 64+ GB card if you have one already but don't buy one specially. My normal car is a C7 A6, which accepts a FAT32 formatted 64GB SD card even though the manual says it's limited to 32GB, but I have seen a couple of very minor quirks with the jukebox function.

I had a 2014 A4 as a loan car last year and put the same 64GB card in that - it didn't work well at all! I could play a handful of files but a lot of folders just appeared empty - probably those that were past the first 32GB of the card. This was on an A4 with the standard radio (no MMI or sat nav), it may be different on other models.

SD card sizes are confusing because there are two types of card - SDHC (up to 32GB) and SDXC (above 32GB). SDHC cards are formatted as FAT32, which is widely supported but SDXC cards are formatted as exFAT, which is a newer and less supported standard. Some cars are limited to 32GB because they don't understand exFAT, which means you can get them to read a larger card by manually formatting it to FAT32 - obviously Audi don't put this in the manual because you'd expect a card to just work straight out of the box without downloading special formatting utilities. However, this assumes the car can read SDXC cards in the first place - some cars (like my loan A4) must be limited to SDHC sizes regardless of file system.