PDA

View Full Version : B6 Parking Brake ?

Roy
10-07-2006, 11:44 PM
How does it work?

I hear the nasty graunching noise when I press the button, but what's going on? is that the sound of cables being winched up or hydraulics getting squeezed, does it work on the 2 back wheels or all 4?

Roy

longboyad
17-07-2006, 08:55 PM
I know - it sounds worse than it is - it is the "system" applying the brakes and the local dealer says the noise is normal.
The variables for releasing the brake however is voodoo and black magic.

PS - for a fantastic emergency stop, press and hold the button like they advise in the handbook, not one to practice however..... be warned!!

Micklebring
22-07-2006, 10:27 PM
I got my new one yesterday and as you say, it's completely beyond comprehension whether the parking brake is on or off. I also rolled back in a Passat for the first time in 4 years today 'cos DSG ain't automatic. Boy was that a shock.:Blush2:

Tanto
23-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Interesting, I haven't yet driven the Passat (I'm currently arranging a test drive as I have to change my company car). Does this system in the Passat mean that boy racers won't be able to do hand brake turns?

If this is the case then I'd suggest it is a positive safety feature. ;)

gerryh
24-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Got one with autohold option, most times it releases OK but really it is not very user friendly.

You have to remember to push the a/hold button when you're in the car with the door shut and seatbelt on from then on its automatic.

BUT open a door take seat belt off (to get car aprk ticket and the thing disengages, so when you park up the and think the brake comes on automatically it doesn't and rolls forward.

Am I alone in thinking this a crass and illogical system? Surelt the default should be automatic with a manual over-ride?

Micklebring
24-07-2006, 10:47 PM
I'd tend to agree and I'd also say the button's in the worst position. If you've got a DSG and you're in drive and moving when you remember to switch it on you can't see the button to see if the light's on. Still, other than that I like the car.

Gaz the Cab
24-07-2006, 11:05 PM
I'd tend to agree and I'd also say the button's in the worst position. If you've got a DSG and you're in drive and moving when you remember to switch it on you can't see the button to see if the light's on. Still, other than that I like the car.

Think I'll stick with my '02 reg.

msp69
21-08-2006, 07:26 AM
Hi - I like the idea behind this, however, in practice this is very different.

I've lost count how may times it hasn't disengaged when it should.