PDA

View Full Version : Vw 2005 2.5 Tdi T5 Transporter

bigtee
12-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Vw 2005 2.5 Tdi T5 Transporter
Hi Can Anyone Help I Have A T5 Transporter 2.5/130 Tdi Recently I Have Been Losing Power But Only When I Boot It Or When Using Higher Revs Ie Steep Inclines It Seems To Lose Power Or Goes Into A Limp Home Mode If I Turn Ignition Off Then On Again All Is Ok ? Until Next Time I Boot It I Have Been Living With This Problem For A Few Weeks Also I Recently Changed The Fuel Filter And Car Has Not Run Since Have Had New Starter As Burnt Old One Out With Too Much Cranking Also Replaced Fuel Pump On Engine Still Wont Start Vw Have Had My Vehicle Now For 2 Weeks And Still Wont Start Their Are No Errors Showing They Don't Seem To Know What The Problem Is Does Anyone Know If All These Problems Are Related I Already Have £800 Bill And A None Running Car It Is Still Within Its Warranty But I Have Been Using Biodiesel From A Reputable Supplier To The Right Bs Standard As Stated In Vw Hand Book But They Are Saying Using This Fuel Has Caused These Problems Any Help Would Be Appreciated....tony

rickster_334
10-03-2008, 07:26 PM
i have a similar problem! last night my 2003 T5 130 (97K) lost all power and 'limped' home. It would start and rev when not underload. I changed the fuel filter today and now it won't start....cranks but no sign off it wanting to start as if its starved of fuel.....any ideas??

paul b
10-03-2008, 07:27 PM
i have a similar problem! last night my 2003 T5 130 (97K) lost all power and 'limped' home. It would start and rev when not underload. I changed the fuel filter today and now it won't start....cranks but no sign off it wanting to start as if its starved of fuel.....any ideas??
How long have you tried to crank it? I changed the fuel filter on my A6 and I had to crank it for 30 seconds before it started. That's just what you do with fuel filter changes.
Paul

rickster_334
10-03-2008, 07:31 PM
iv changed the fuel filter on it before. it definately isnt that. after changing the filter i turned the ignition and it started...staggered but i kept the power on to feed diesel through but then it died. is there a fuel cut off / immobiliser on them??

paul b
10-03-2008, 07:36 PM
iv changed the fuel filter on it before. it definately isnt that. after changing the filter i turned the ignition and it started...staggered but i kept the power on to feed diesel through but then it died. is there a fuel cut off / immobiliser on them??
Keep trying. But this could be a consequence of not having the engine warm enough before changing the filter.
Paul

turnerminator
09-04-2008, 07:06 PM
after reading the manual and reading your comments ive decided not to try biodiesel as i reckon it will cost me more money and hassle in the long run. thanks for being my guinea pig!

kenney
09-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Hi RME fuel may only be used in vehicles which have been approved by Volkswagen for this purpose with RME fuel - either in the standard version or in vehicles with optional equipment (PR number “2G0”).
The PR number “2G0” on the vehicle data sticker indicates the RME compatibility.
For vehicles with standard diesel particulate filter (DPF) RME fuel (biodiesel) must not be used.
When you change the filter did you fill the new filter with diesel,?and To ensure the engine starts immediately after changing the fuel filter, bleed the fuel system

dieseldan
16-04-2008, 07:38 PM
I Had this problem of power loss when going up hill loaded, vw said it needed a new turbo, so i let them fit one*under warranty of course!* havent had the same problem since.

rocconut
20-04-2008, 11:58 AM
I had the same problem with a Golf Tdi. Turbo pressure was out out design parameters (so I was told), putting it into limp mode. It would happen going up steep hills or booting it.
It would reset if you switched off and back on. (this was only on a 50,000m car)
We changed every valve and pipe to the turbo. eventually took the turbo off (VW wouldn't touch it!) cleaned out the dust and put it back - end of problem!

I reckon the variable vanes on the turbo were getting jammed, Normally VAG just say the Turbo is defective and you need a new one. Could this be the same problem? (I don't know if the turbo s are the same?)

If you are still under warranty I would demand a replacement turbo.

audijay73
05-09-2009, 01:00 AM
totaly agree the turbo vanes get fell of kak and start sticking nowt to do with fuel my mates pasat is having same problems as above

purplemax666
04-10-2009, 09:09 PM
totaly agree the turbo vanes get fell of kak and start sticking nowt to do with fuel my mates pasat is having same problems as above

spot on!
vanes usually stick in full boost m,ode, causing overboost and limp mode!

if your capable then clean it or get it done by a turbo spec.

cheaper than the ********!

paul b
07-10-2009, 02:20 PM
It's the sticky carbon in the turbo that causes the vanes to... well... stick.

Best way of cure is preventative maintenance. Take the car for a thrashing once or twice a fortnight and just cover all the boy racers in their Corsas and Saxos in your soot (talking about diesels here!).

It should say the above in the user's manual. :D

Alan02
09-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Overboost generally causes your limp mode problem,due to,as mentioned the Vanes sticking.If you have access to a Vacuum Gun,you can check the movement of the Vacuum Cell control rod yourself.As for the Fuel filter,i always cycle the ignition lots of times to pump fuel into the filter prior to starting.

paulm270582
14-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Hi, its a long shot but i had this too, it ended up being a hose which was popping out when van was under pressure. Dont know what hose but il try and describe it,
as you look under the bonnet there is a large diameter hose about 75mm, going from the top of the engine going rightwards in an s shape, then there is a coupling, which was what was busted. i think it stop gasses going through the turbo.

good luck

fixit1964
25-06-2010, 11:40 AM
did you fill the new fuel filter first

turnerminator
25-06-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm no expert, but it sounds like the ECU has gone into limp mode.