PDA

View Full Version : Start Stop Advice Please

Airtours
23-02-2014, 10:27 AM
Hi all!

Buying a 60 reg technik with s/s, when I asked the question on how it works, I was told by the garage that it's adaptive to how you drive with it?

is this true? Took it out for a test drive and tried to make it work but it wouldn't, now I'm a little worried as to whether it's faulty or not..

I pressed the button on the console to switch it off (red light on) and no message appeared on the dis but when I pressed it again (red light off) then the dis showed me the @ saying off.. I'm confused!

I checked all the other areas, no high battery usage, seat belt on, temp outside 9', inside ac 22', not on hill or turning..

is is it worth getting Audi to check it out or am I just being stupid?

Cheers
Keiron

Dieseldoos
23-02-2014, 12:19 PM
If the car was started from cold it will not work straight away. The engine needs to warm up, battery needs enough voltage etc before it starts, so if it was on and the @ display showed on the dash, all that means is its working, but the car has not met all requirements for it to start/stop.

Im also guessing when you stopped you applied the handbrake, put it in neutral and released the clutch.

Mine has it, and tbh, I turn it off more than I use it.

Pork
23-02-2014, 12:37 PM
My 2010MY doesn't always stop and it doesn't always display the symbol on the dash that it has not met all the conditions to function. It has many parameters as mentioned (but the handbrake does not need to be on with mine)

stop start will not function if;

the engine temperature is still too low
the difference between the interior temperature and the temperature selected via the air conditioning system is still too great
the outside temperature is very high or very low
the windscreen is being de-iced
the optional parking aid or the optional park assist is activated
the battery charge is too low
the steering wheel is at a sharp angle or is being turned
reverse gear is engaged
the road is steep

Scott K
23-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Don't think its adaptive but it definitely measures the battery drain. On my wife's car it sometimes only shuts off for a minute or less. If it is cold and the seat heaters are on then it won't switch off at all. The sign in the DIS comes up with a strike through it in this case. The only time I am tempted to switch it off is when free wheeling in neutral in traffic jams. It switches off and you have no power steering but it seems to start up when the car gets to a certain speed. To be honest I am still getting used to it and it still gives me a shock when the engine starts itself!

theskyfox
26-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Probably worth adding there are a few other systems that will interfere. Air conditioning and rear sceen demister tend to put a big load on the engine/battery.

-Andrew

Airtours
03-03-2014, 12:57 AM
Finally got to car :) and have driven it about 200 miles this weekend. I love it! It's amazing!

I had doubts about the systems and especially start stop but it works effortlessly! Auto lights and wipers, parking plus (no cam) mmi 3G basic, eco, technik spec

It's also looks great in the brilliant red!! Wife loves it, as it was an early 30th present.

Cheers for all the advice and help

Keiron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eob
06-03-2014, 10:34 AM
Something I have found with the start/stop is that when it stops as expected in traffic, but then restarts again after a few seconds because it 'doesn't like something', if you press the Start/Sop button to disable, then again to re-enable the system, the engine will cut out and remain stopped until the clutch is pressed or steering wheel moved etc.

allanmb
06-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Something I have found with the start/stop is that when it stops as expected in traffic, but then restarts again after a few seconds because it 'doesn't like something', if you press the Start/Sop button to disable, then again to re-enable the system, the engine will cut out and remain stopped until the clutch is pressed or steering wheel moved etc.

I'll give this a go as it does sometimes just start up for no apparent reason...

Airtours
06-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Noticed this too, but just put it down to some system draining the battery! Will try it next time.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starbucks Fred
06-03-2014, 11:40 AM
I turn it off every time I get in the car

The savings you make in fuel will never cover the cost of a new starter motor, which may be needed when the car is a bit older and more important, out of warranty!

allanmb
06-03-2014, 11:51 AM

The savings you make in fuel will never cover the cost of a new starter motor, which may be needed when the car is a bit older and more important, out of warranty!

I would be worried about that too but I plan on selling the car once it is 4 years old so hopefully it will last that long ;-)

eob
06-03-2014, 02:57 PM

This is true, but in my case it's a company car so out of warranty issues will be someone else's' bother.
I could never be disciplined enough to remember to switch it off each time, mind you, they say that two weeks of anything makes it a habit.

Audi.Quattro
06-03-2014, 08:51 PM
It annoys the hell out of me, so it only every works once per journey in my car, when it kicks in I press the button. It's like it reminds me I forgot to turn it off.

allanmb
06-03-2014, 09:20 PM
It annoys the hell out of me, so it only every works once per journey in my car, when it kicks in I press the button. It's like it reminds me I forgot to turn it off.

I like how quiet it makes the car, and I spend quite a lot of time stopped on my commute so it definitely helps save fuel.

fat controller
06-03-2014, 10:11 PM
The only thing I worry about with it is the additional wear to the starter motor really - oh, and be aware if you have parked up and the engine has switched off automatically, you are liable to shi*t yourself when it decides to restart for whatever reason. Mine usually waits until I am engrossed in reading emails or the news and switches back on when I am not looking......