PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil - Quantum Longlife - Anyone bought it online or in North West area?

_tones
22-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Hi,

My car is due a top up of oil (or will be in a couple weeks). Where I had my car serviced, they used Quantum Longlife (not heard of this brand before but it seems a fair few people use it). I usually use Shell Helix Ultra Extra (http://www.shell.co.uk/gbr/products-services/on-the-road/consumer-lubricants-tpkg/cars/find-right-car-oils/helix-ultra/ultra-extra.html) for topup which costs me around £45 for 5 litres (expensive but it's the top end of oil Shell supply). I've been informed there is no harm in mixing oils (I've done this before without issue).

What I wanted to know is where people buy their Quantum oil from and for how much? Most seem to be on e-bay but I'd rather not buy from there unless someone else has used same seller.

ta

Brycie
22-02-2014, 06:03 PM
No but I did recently buy 20 litres of Fuchs for my car from a little place near Accrington for £75. Apparently it's not just good oil, it's what Audi use at the factory. The owner did admit that Shell is the best oil out there, but Fuchs is also good & came at a real bargain. Should do me 3 services plus top-ups.

_tones
22-02-2014, 07:08 PM
No but I did recently buy 20 litres of Fuchs for my car from a little place near Accrington for £75. Apparently it's not just good oil, it's what Audi use at the factory. The owner did admit that Shell is the best oil out there, but Fuchs is also good & came at a real bargain. Should do me 3 services plus top-ups.

Not heard of Fuchs before either. I've never really had to top up my car before I bought the Audi due to the oil it consumes. I may just stick with the Shell unless I can get a hold of Quantum around here (Manchester).

Boy
22-02-2014, 09:50 PM
I buy quantum longlife for my B8 from my local VW dealer. It is about £32 for 5l.

b206
22-02-2014, 10:22 PM
I'm fairly sure Quantum is an Audi/VW brand ?

_tones
22-02-2014, 11:03 PM
I buy quantum longlife for my B8 from my local VW dealer. It is about £32 for 5l.

I'm fairly sure Quantum is an Audi/VW brand ?

Hmm, didn't know it was an VAG brand. If it was, then the next question is why do dealers also use castrol and shell oils. I'll try and contact my local vw dealer to get a price. Found shell helix ultra extra for £40 for 5L. Apparently by EU law, oils have to be made to a certain specification so they can be used in combination. Obviously, the correct spec has to be used for the relevant car.

Brycie
22-02-2014, 11:20 PM
What I've picked up from the forum & recent web research (I did quite a bit of research before buying the Fuchs) is that Quantum IS Castrol rebadged for sale to VAG dealerships. That was what dealers used until they very recently switched from using Castrol's Quantum brand, over to Shell. If money is not the main driver here, then Shell is the best you can buy, but from my findings, Fuchs is one if the best of the rest (must be good if every Audi leaves the production line using it) & you can't beat 20litres for £75.

Alternatively, Opie Oils is a forum sponsor & should be able to provide a quote on your preferred brand, so you could PM him for a quote.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

_tones
23-02-2014, 12:02 AM
What I've picked up from the forum & recent web research (I did quite a bit of research before buying the Fuchs) is that Quantum IS Castrol rebadged for sale to VAG dealerships. That was what dealers used until they very recently switched from using Castrol's Quantum brand, over to Shell. If money is not the main driver here, then Shell is the best you can buy, but from my findings, Fuchs is one if the best of the rest (must be good if every Audi leaves the production line using it) & you can't beat 20litres for £75.

Alternatively, Opie Oils is a forum sponsor & should be able to provide a quote on your preferred brand, so you could PM him for a quote.

Ok, thanks for info re quantum. I've already checked opie oils and couldn't find Quantum (probably because as you said, its castrol rebadged as Quantum for dealers) but they had shell extra one at 48 for 5L. Europart cheapest I've found to date at £40. Money isn't the main driver but since my car was serviced with Quantum, thought I'd ask where people usually get theres from. Will check with VW as per previous poster. Although I've not personally used Fuchs, i cant argue with 20L for £75 if Audi use this on new cars. A pretty good price.

Brycie
23-02-2014, 12:06 AM
It's all about peace of mind really I guess. Whichever you're happy with & won't give you concerns between services. I'll have a look see if I can find any deals on Shell Helix.

Edit: Google Shopping search shows carpartssaver as the best prices, though I don't know what spec you need. Let us know where you end up going & what deal you get.

_tones
23-02-2014, 12:13 AM
It's all about peace of mind really I guess. Whichever you're happy with & won't give you concerns between services. I'll have a look see if I can find any deals on Shell Helix.

Indeed. I've used the shell already between services in the past but was interested in knowing more about Quantum as i couldn't find it on the sites i checked. I've found out why now. My main concern is using the correct spec ;). Considering the shell extra is top of shell range, I'd struggle to find a better price. If you do find anything, please post on here.

Brycie
23-02-2014, 12:16 AM
Just updated previous post, only a few quid savings that I can see, but at least you knkw you're using the best.

_tones
23-02-2014, 12:27 AM
Just updated previous post, only a few quid savings that I can see, but at least you knkw you're using the best.

Will do. The carpartssaver is the cheapest by a few pound but I think it may be an online only ebay store. I have a europarts store near me. The two choices will be the Shell from there for £40 or I'll enquire about Quantum from local dealer. Most probably I'll pursue the Shell and for my next service, ask the dealer / indie to use this if I provide it. Cheers for all the help..

p.s. spec is 5w-30 / VW 504.00 VW 507.00. I assumed all B8s used the same spec oil...