PDA

View Full Version : T4 fan belt problem

johnhandyman
12-09-2007, 08:06 PM
I have a 1995 2.4 diesel and have recently had a problem with the fan belt squeeling. I took it to a local garage who adjusted the tension but the problem reoccured within 300 miles. They then replaced the belt but again within 400 miles the squeel started again. The garage adjusted the tension again and checked the pulleys and alignment and said that it was OK . Today it has started squeeling again. It is only when the engine is cold and stops within 5 minutes or so. Can anyone help with giving me a clue as to what I should do to resolve this.? Thanks
Johnhandyman but not so handy on this occasion!!!

Freshup
26-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Hi,
Engine changed belt types about that year. Is it standard "V' belt or flat multirib belt? If standard there are 2 belts, 1 driving alternator, the other power steering. Both adjustable and need to be real tight. If flat multirib only spring loaded adjustment. If van has A/c make sure belt is routed correctly. Also some 6PK (6 rib) belts are hard to find. Often 8PK belts are cut down, not always accurately, and small variations in width squeel on pulleys.
Hope this helps
John

tomcat33
23-10-2008, 06:26 PM
hi johnhandyman

reading your post interested me greatly. I have an L reg t4 that has a similar problem with squealing alternator belt. I won't go into the saga except to say I have tried without success to fix this for the last 12 years!

Did you by any chance manage to fix yours?
thanks
Tomcat

STEWY L
23-10-2008, 06:56 PM
try rubbing a bit of brake fluid on the belt,it often helps.
regards,
stewy.

lukeski99
04-01-2009, 02:38 PM
hi johnhandyman

reading your post interested me greatly. I have an L reg t4 that has a similar problem with squealing alternator belt. I won't go into the saga except to say I have tried without success to fix this for the last 12 years!

Did you by any chance manage to fix yours?
thanks
Tomcat

I have excatly the same problem on my 2001 1.9 t4. I have had the belt replaced twice. I have to tighten the belt evry couple of months. when i run out of ajustment i ahve to replace the belt. Really annoying. Has anybody got to the bottom of this problem????

zollaf
04-01-2009, 02:47 PM
if its a flat multi ribbeed belt then the squeeling is caused by the belt sticking to the pulleys. this problem doesnt seem to occur with v type belts. try some chalk dust on the belt, or a different make of belt. the only real cure is to find out which pulley is the culprit, and replace it. brake fluid, spray grease, chalk etc will stop the squeel for a while , but it is sure to return.

lostboy
10-01-2009, 08:34 PM
I wack this stuff on mine and it keeps it at bay for a month or 2

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Rocol-Rocol-Belt-Dressing-Spray-33466.htm

J

tomcat33
12-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks, I'll try it. Do you wait for it to start squealing before spraying the belt.