PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 v6 tdi strange release of boost pressure?

alexr89
19-02-2014, 10:22 PM
hi all, just posted a new members thread :)

had the car a couple of month and was well until i started to hear a wooshing of air leak type soon and more smoke under load which i expected to quickly spot a split boost/intercooler pipe which was not the case, the car still seems to move along the road ok boost peaking at just under 16psi

i'm a trained mechanic although not in that line of work anymore i do have a decent idea, i had the wheel and arch liner off today and the closest i could narrow the air too was from here (arrowed at bottom)

there's always slight air coming from there on idle but give it some and it really whooses, so much so i wouldn't expect it to still pull like it does!\

can anyone offer any advice? it seems further diagnosis would involve a lot of stripping down to find the part i need then put back together.. i need the car often as some of my family rely on me.

any input at all would be very well recieved

thanks and great forum! (i run my own www.talbotoc.com) :)

Alex

alexr89
19-02-2014, 10:30 PM
p.s the air seemed to be coming from between the aliminium bit and the plastic bit in front

adamss24
19-02-2014, 11:30 PM
You blown an intercooler...get it replaced before it kills your turbo !

alexr89
20-02-2014, 11:19 AM
You blown an intercooler...get it replaced before it kills your turbo !

Thanks for that! It's kind of what I was thinking but without being able to physically see the split I wasn't sure.

are they a pig to do? Looks it!

Cheers

All-rod
23-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Did you get that sorted, is it replaced or still driving like that?

alexr89
28-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Did you get that sorted, is it replaced or still driving like that?

i was hoping to get it done last weekend but some family stuff came up, hoping to do it over the weekend.. i tried a couple of weeks ago but after removing the headlight and airbox i could see the top of the intercooler and that it was the wrong one.. i'm wondering if i can remove the old one without dismantling the front end, it looks akward to do, cheers

adamss24
29-03-2014, 09:04 AM
You won't be able to take the intercooler off with the air con drier in place, there is no enough space to do it. Take the bumper off instead- it's only held in by 3 nuts each side and 2 bolts under the front grilles...