PDA

View Full Version : Vw bora 2003 start but cuts out

Ben94
16-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Hi I'm not sure if I've posted this in the right place so if not could somone let me know please. The issue I've got is I came out to start my Bora 1.9tdi today and it starts up but then cuts out after 1 second or so. No lights or anything come up on the dash when I turn the ignition on, the rev counter doesn't work while the engine runs for that split second. I've had the AA come out and they could find anything wrong. Any help would be great? Thanks

AvantB5CJ
16-02-2014, 04:47 PM
Did the AA check to see if any fuel was making it to the engine from the pump? Would be the first thing to check. Strange that the rev counter doesn't even twitch for that split second though...

zollaf
16-02-2014, 04:59 PM
so, if nothing works on the dash, no oil light or anything, then the dash is not working. in the dash is the immobiliser and this is the reason its starts and cuts out. could be a fuse, could be wiring but more likely a dead dash panel. you could sent it to bba reman to get it tested and possibly fixed, or get a new one from a dealer but thats not going to be cheap. either way, your car aint moving under its own steam until its fixed.

Ben94
16-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Ok thanks for you help. The AA didn't test if there was actually any power getting to the dash so they are coming back out to look. That will give me a better idea on whether it's the dash at fault or relays etc.

zollaf
16-02-2014, 06:16 PM
the aa are not really the best people to deal with it. maybe to tow it to a garage of your choice but they won't have to knowledge or wiring diagrams to test it properly.

Ben94
16-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Not really sure what's going on, went out to get something from my car and noticed the clock was back on so thought I would give it a go starting it. All seems to be back to normal now, strange. Will have to keep an eye on it now though