PDA

View Full Version : Headlight beam deflectors/masks: original pattern

PopDorset
26-08-2004, 07:28 PM
applies to vehicles: Sharan, Alhambra and Galaxy before facelift.

Before going abroad this year I spent hours on the internet trying to find a pattern or template for making my own headlamp masks for right hand driving. I came up with a complete blank, except a couple of forums where people were saying buy a Halfords set and cut them to fit.

I am always a little suspicious of the "one size fits all" principle, and the handbook for this is just not that precise...it's impossible to get an accurate mapping from it and there arn't any measurements at all, just a basic shape.

Frustrated, I drove to the local farm one evening and parked with the headlights on in front of a large barn. The next step was to cut up a cereal packet and tape the basic shape to the headlight. After about 45 mins of trimming and taping bits on I came up with a template for a mask for each headlamp (they are assymetrical) which gives a perfect beam pattern and no leaks of light. The object here was to get rid of the kick up on the left hand side of each beam pattern.

These templates I now keep safe, and I will, every year, use a small piece of black Fablon or other make of sticky back plastic to make a fresh set for my holidays.

I would be happy to scan these templates and forward them, but half the fun for me was just the satisfaction of getting a very accurate and reusable template.

My research threw up a number of good sites but this one in particular is now in my "Favourites" folder:

http://www.eurodriveregs.co.uk/

Happy driving! ;)

PopDorset

stuart
27-08-2004, 07:40 AM
Thank you for these helpful tips;) I hope that when the member numbers do increase these will be helpful to others.

Please keep them coming:D and thanks for your support on my new venture/hobby, I do appreciate it.

:beerchug:

dakster
28-07-2006, 04:57 PM
PopDorset

Great tip - would you email me a scan please ? - I`ve sent you a PM
Dave

saskin
30-07-2006, 02:40 PM
I ahve a ford galaxy and have just spent a frustrtaing hour looking for templates. Interesting how te ford website simply directs you to a main dealer for adjustment....yeah at £50 a time or some such price!!

You scanned templates would be very helpful. E-mail addy is saskin@clara.co.uk. Thanks in anticipation.

A

dakster
30-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Hey this is an Audi forum !!

If you phone Ford on 0906 5533447 and give them your fax no. and model/year they will send you templates for your Gal. Although its a premium rate line it should only take you 20 seconds or so to get the message across ie about 35p !

Dakster

ds1212
09-08-2007, 10:36 PM

Before going abroad this year I spent hours on the internet trying to find a pattern or template for making my own headlamp masks for right hand driving. I came up with a complete blank, except a couple of forums where people were saying buy a Halfords set and cut them to fit.

I am always a little suspicious of the "one size fits all" principle, and the handbook for this is just not that precise...it's impossible to get an accurate mapping from it and there arn't any measurements at all, just a basic shape.

Frustrated, I drove to the local farm one evening and parked with the headlights on in front of a large barn. The next step was to cut up a cereal packet and tape the basic shape to the headlight. After about 45 mins of trimming and taping bits on I came up with a template for a mask for each headlamp (they are assymetrical) which gives a perfect beam pattern and no leaks of light. The object here was to get rid of the kick up on the left hand side of each beam pattern.

These templates I now keep safe, and I will, every year, use a small piece of black Fablon or other make of sticky back plastic to make a fresh set for my holidays.

I would be happy to scan these templates and forward them, but half the fun for me was just the satisfaction of getting a very accurate and reusable template.

My research threw up a number of good sites but this one in particular is now in my "Favourites" folder:

Happy driving! ;)

PopDorset
1. Please send copy of template to ds.mulberry@virgin.net
2. www.eurodriveregs.co.uk (http://www.eurodriveregs.co.uk) no longer available

ejg
13-08-2007, 08:20 PM

Happy driving! ;)

PopDorset
Great money saving tip - if you can email me the scanned templates that would be much appreciated. Cheers Ed (email: edward.gill@zen.co.uk)

Fourbears
23-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Er in my 99 Sharan handbook it actually showed you where to mask the lights. Thats even cheaper!!!